Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-04-2005 , 06:19 AM
Subscriber

background ganster #1

long time not post in the wip section.
here is a character ive been working onfor just a render, might rig th face.

user added image
user added image
user added image

# 2 20-04-2005 , 08:33 AM
Subscriber
That looks beautiful (even if it is a bit of a roughed up bloke!). I love the detail in the model and texture to the face. Great work, really inspirational user added image

LisaG

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 3 20-04-2005 , 08:35 AM
Subscriber
yeah very good stuff.. I like really a lot. spec is to high at first but some bump or displacment will brake that up a lot I'm guessing.

# 4 20-04-2005 , 11:43 AM
Heya Vlad,

Wow! Very nicely done, looking fantastic user added image

MainlineX

-------------------------------------------
# 5 20-04-2005 , 12:14 PM
holy moly!

head looks great! what I find very cool about it is the uneven topology of the face. this creates personality. nose- and mouthpart is awsome, only the eyes look little different. kind of empty or peering. but maybe this is supposed to be this way when U want to animate it. allthough I wouldn´t know it myself I guess the skinn shading could need some work.

cheers falott

# 6 20-04-2005 , 01:22 PM
Subscriber
thanx for the comments.
this mesh was sculpted in ZB and i wanted to use it as a disp map... but its not a good idea to use disp maps for such simple geometry like human face [unless u have time to render micro disp in MR user added image ]
so i exported a subdiv lvl 3 to maya , about 10k polys and also exported the base mesh for rigging.
user added image

# 7 21-04-2005 , 06:09 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Vlad

Hows it going? did you get my reply at Outlaws about the creature?

Heads looking good, is that true that Zbrush loops the stuff 4 you?

_J

# 8 21-04-2005 , 08:44 PM
Subscriber
hey J
yea i saw your reply.

ZB has no topology control what so ever,
you need to build a base mesh in a modeling app, and UV it there too. like i did for this head.
otherwise u'll get some funky UV's and if u build a mesh out of "zspheres" its almost not workable in an animation package.

# 9 25-04-2005 , 01:07 PM
Actually you could build the base mesh in ZBrush too, with ZSpheres and then tweak the vertices manually. It also has some tools for edge loops and stuff. I think it's easier than in Maya to move around serveral vertices at once.

# 10 25-04-2005 , 11:07 PM
Subscriber
Oh yeah!! Wouldn't want to meet this guy in a dark back alley. Coming along great vlad. Love the details and I really think he's got a lot of personality now. The cig is a nice touch
and like Pony pointed out he's a little reflective / high spec, but that's easy fix, and I do realize it's not final.

Chin area, nose and mouth is really really cool. 4 stars moving to 5 once it's final user added image

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 11 26-04-2005 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
yea alpha, it was just to test ibl lighting, i think thats why it was a little over saturated.

but i kinda wanted a glossy "look" to him.
user added image
user added image

# 12 26-04-2005 , 11:48 AM
very impressive...
just the smoke is too dense.

# 13 26-04-2005 , 01:51 PM
Subscriber
Thats amaizing

Just ine crit. I think the Hat and jacket could be a little more dirty. I think there actual textures might stand out too much and some dirt and worn marks could really help that out. Awesome render though

"So the Doctor Sais I wouldn't have so many nose bleeds if I kept my finger out of there."
~Ralph Wiggum