Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 24-11-2005 , 12:20 AM
Subscriber

what is your Return Policy

There are a few downloads that I waisted my points on and I wanted to know if it is possible to get my points back? Although most of these downloadeds were from awhile back, I now relized that it had really heart me in long run because I am 5 points shy from being able to download all of the parts of the Ferrari remastered tutorial. In addition, these videos that I don't want did not help me anyways and I have deleted them off my hard drive.

I really don't have any money considering that that I have just recently became disabled. In addition, I now only recieve $1000 US dollars a month and my bills and miscellaneous expenses are about $900. So I could really use the help.

Thanks
Bob

# 2 25-11-2005 , 07:01 AM
SM Tea Boy
Hi,

You can't return somthing you've allready seen.

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 25-11-2005 , 12:54 PM
Subscriber

You can't return somthing you've allready seen.

What I never heard such a thing. If I go to my local store baught a DVD, watched a few minutes of the DVD and relized that this wasn't what I wanted, any of my local stores would be able to let get another DVD in replace of it. So I don't see the difference. For example, I downloaded one of your movies that says it teaches you texturing, I believe it was the dragon tutorial. When I watched the movie there was not one second worth of texturing, and you want me to suck up the lose of those 2 points? Thats called being theives.

# 4 25-11-2005 , 01:03 PM
SM Tea Boy
Here you can only return DVDs unopened. See amazon if you think where the only ones. Again there as with here you can't return an electronic download. Why would anyone ever buy more than 2 points you could download watch say you didn't like it get the points back and repeat.

And I know of no store that will take back an open Game or DVD unless it's defective.

Also there is not a single mention that i can see of texturing on the dragon tutorial. If you think a particular tutorial description was misleading please let me know and I'll look into it.

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 25-11-2005 , 01:10 PM
SM Tea Boy
I am happy to give you the 5 points you need to complete the Ferrari tutorial, our returns policy is the same as anyones that deals in electronic downloads. But as you've been a customer for a while and its allmost Christmases I'll make an exception.

David
Admin and nice guy!

# 6 25-11-2005 , 01:40 PM
Subscriber
https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=34

Here is the link to the 2 misleading movies. It said it covers UV layout and it wasn't until the second movie that it started to laying out the UV's. In addition, if it says uv layout, why was most of the 2 movies about tweeking the vertices. I already know how to do that. I thought that this was going to straightforward in laying out the UV's. Futhemore, it also had a lot of areas that the guy was tumbling the camera just to get the correct angle he wanted which could cut the time in half and you would of been able to make it into one movie clip.

Another example of what I mean by straightforward is, for the points that I do have left I have been downloading the Ferrari remaster movie. I have to say that this is one of simplymaya's best one so far. It is straight to the point and shows you exactly how to model the car. and their is no time waisted with tumbling the camera for five minutes. Excently movie. And besides, now that I know to becareful on downloading which movies, it is not like I am going to ask to be reimbursed again. I am not that kind of person.

In my opinion, I think that there should be a 5 minute clip of what you are doing just like how digital-tutors does it. If it is the server space, you can get a free web-site that you would only have free stuff in. In addition, I don't even see why your putting this forum on your cost-based server. All you do is when people come to www.simplymaya.com and they click on forums, it redirects them to your free server site. It is not illeagal to do this as long as you don't sell anything on your free server. Meaning you don't charge members to have a forum account and you don't charge members to download free movies. To add on to this, many free web-sites now give you 250MB of hardrive space per account.

# 7 25-11-2005 , 02:02 PM
SM Tea Boy
The tutorial you describe as misleading is in the archive section of the site and as such NOT FOR DOWNLOAD is kept on line as a curtsey to older members that downloaded it years ago.

As it says

"Archive
Older Maya tutorials kept on-line re downloads only"

We no longer support anything in the archive section it's simply there for our old members in case they lose an old download.

Our descriptions do not describe individual parts of a tutorial they describe the tutorial as a whole.

This forum uses a terabyte of bandwidth a month and needs 3 dedicated servers to run on you know anyone giving entire servers on lease lines away for free? Not to mention shared server space is INSECURE you want me storing your details on a server 100s of people have access to?

David

# 8 25-11-2005 , 02:35 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by David
The tutorial you describe as misleading is in the archive section of the site and as such NOT FOR DOWNLOAD is kept on line as a curtsey to older members that downloaded it years ago.

As it says

"Archive
Older Maya tutorials kept on-line re downloads only"

We no longer support anything in the archive section it's simply there for our old members in case they lose an old download.

Ok I understand and I will stop there, but let point this out. I think this is sort of misleading considering that "archive Older Maya tutorials kept on-line re downloads only" doesn't say that you support them or not.

Our descriptions do not describe individual parts of a tutorial they describe the tutorial as a whole.

so you wouldn't want to put a 3-5 minute clip on a free server that helps the members know what their buying considering that these movies are not returnable? Meaning just cut the entire movie into smaller peices and make a 3-5 minute movie out of it. And besides, what about the waisted time with camera tumbleing. Do you think that customers are going to want to come back if they see that they paid for camera tumbleing? Not to mention something that mostly shows you pushing and shoving vertices that you have no clue what that has to do with the tutorial.

This forum uses a terabyte of bandwidth a month and needs 3 dedicated servers to run on you know anyone giving entire servers on lease lines away for free?

No I don't know of any but I also didn't know that these forums put out that much.

Not to mention shared server space is INSECURE you want me storing your details on a server 100s of people have access to?
David

No, I wouldn't want that, but couldn't you keep them seperate? One that has purchasing data, and one that doesn't? Well, in any case it doesn't matter considering that you wouldn't be able to fit this forum in a free server anyways.

# 9 25-11-2005 , 03:01 PM
SM Tea Boy

And besides, what about the waisted time with camera tumbleing. Do you think that customers are going to want to come back if they see that they paid for camera tumbleing? Not to mention something that mostly shows you pushing and shoving vertices that you have no clue what that has to do with the tutorial.

No i agree with you on that one. But that was a 4 year old tutorial. And the reason why It's been in the archive section for the last 2 years. Id personally get rid of it all together but it has to stay on-line for older members.

David

# 10 25-11-2005 , 03:09 PM
Just want to step in and say one thing. As for the camera and tumbling issue.. The tut makers are in a catch 22 with those to areas if we dont show enough of the pushing and pulling of verts we hear the opposite that you did not show enough and then we hear that we showed to much.

Its very difficult to find a balance where everyone is happy when it comes to what we do and show in are tuts.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 11 25-11-2005 , 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Kurt
Just want to step in and say one thing. As for the camera and tumbling issue.. The tut makers are in a catch 22 with those to areas if we dont show enough of the pushing and pulling of verts we hear the opposite that you did not show enough and then we hear that we showed to much.

Its very difficult to find a balance where everyone is happy when it comes to what we do and show in are tuts.

True, what if you were a beginner and downloaded it and then you had'nt a clue what was going on, be a bit unfair.

I think thers a nice balance in the tut's in the free ones that i've downloaded

# 12 25-11-2005 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber

True, what if you were a beginner and downloaded it and then you had'nt a clue what was going on, be a bit unfair.

and thats the point I was tring to make. However, I can understand that this can be touchy issue on making the descision on if you give the credit back or not. Furthermore, considering that simplymaya doesn't support archive files, I guess that we have to go with that. On the otherhand, I think it would be only fair to have a license page that includes what is supported and not supported in which makes the members to read before downloading. Once they read the license, the member would then have an option to turn this off. Sort of like how Internet Explorer has the feature that warns the user when they are accessing or leaving a secure site. Then once they read the warning, at the bottom of the window there is a checkbox that lets the user to turn the warning off.

From Kurt,

I am not saying this for all tuts. What I am saying is that the tutorial was about laying out the UV's. So my question to that was why was it neccessary to include moving the vertices just in this tutorial? It is like saying that there is a tutorial in which goes about showing you the kinds of problems that can occur with lighting a room, but before you get started you are going to show how to model the room first. However, when the member read the online description it only says that it is going to discuss about the problems that can occur when lighting a room and how to fix those problems. So now when the member is ready to download the first part of the movie, obviously the member is going to assume that before downloading the movie, they should aready know how to build a room or the file is included with the download, and not thinking that the first part of the tutorial shows how to model the room. On the other hand something like the Ferrari remastered tutorial, you do need very detail descriptions because your suppose to assume that the member who wants to learn how to model a car, doesn't know how, and thats why they are downloading the tutorial. So point is, before you make a tutorial, you have to ask yourself what is it you want the tutorial to be about. If it is about lighting then why would also include modeling? Furthermore, you don't need to spend 3 to 5 minutes tumbleing the camera because you need to think about what would be the next best route. Just think on your own and then contuing on recording or however it may be in the way you cut and edit your movies.

# 13 25-11-2005 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
Not trying to be disrespectful junkybob, but like David said you can't return something you've already seen. Which I think is fair.

As much as your've brought up some valid point, you're looking at thinks only from your own perspective and you're refusing to see it from simplymaya's point of view. I think its fair to say we can all pick issues with with things, its not all that hard to do.

For what its worth I think this is a great site, with great tutorials and support and best of all . . . the best pricing!

From my point of view every thing is sweet on this site!

Cheers
Paul

# 14 09-12-2005 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
Hey I know how you feel, there were a few videos I wish I didn’t download, but not all was wasted, they just showed me on how not to do something. The biggest smack was the head modeling by Mike McKinley,, after downloading the last video he says if he could of done it different he would. I just sat in my chair and had a good laugh. I felt riped but dude, its all good, your always learning something from the videos.user added image