Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 31-03-2005 , 10:30 PM

Rum Shop

Simple poly model based on a water colour painting - created as a texturing exerise.

user added image
Large Hi res version - no textures

Textured with Photoshop background for testing:
user added image

I'm currently having issues resolving the lighting and what to do with the background.

I'd like to replicate the bright sunshine you get in the caribbean with the well defined shadows and most surfaces being well lit. Using directional lights I can get the shadows how I want on the front faces but not on the sides etc without 'blowing out' the textures.

Below is how I'd like all the shadows to look:
user added image

But in this Hi res render you can see that using more than one directional light is washing out the shadow near the 'pepsi' sign.
Hi res - lit & textured test
When testing with one directional light the sides of the buildings were not as bright as I need. Has anyone created or seen a 'bright sunlight' type light rig that would help?

As this is for my showreel I'm unsure of the best way to show this model. Turntable with no background? Or stills with a photoshop/PFX background? (Dont fancy Paint FX due to render times etc).

Any suggestions??
Cheers,
Trev

# 2 31-03-2005 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber
it just seems a bit too bright for the background.... try mapping a ramp to the color offset of the attribute- this will help create a more subtle look to the textures- so the darker sections won't be as bright as the where areas are lighter.
(map white and black on the sliders)

also another good option is to alter the alpha gain on the whiter textures (bit bright i think), to lessen the effect of it slightly. just enough so that it can flow with the background

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)

Last edited by cung; 31-03-2005 at 11:21 PM.