Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 13-04-2003 , 03:31 AM
Subscriber

Character rigging (new free tut)

KEVIN(not Iz), great tutorial, for some reason I couldn't figure out how to do the rigging at all. I remeber trying for a while but i must be F'n blind for not seeing the "Joint Tool"

Anyways well done and all that, but my reason for posting was that i was wondering about how to use the skeleton! I got you're bulldog all rigged but moving the joints, well moves the joints and not the model! I know that this is probably just another checkbox somewhere but i think maya has like 3409587345976 different boxes. So i figure one of you guys could help, Thx so much.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 13-04-2003 at 06:13 AM.
# 2 13-04-2003 , 04:16 AM
Actually, I didn't do that particular tutuser added image

I think Mike, Craig, or Kevin did it...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 13-04-2003 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
LOL oops it does say Kevin, read the wrong thing but anyone could answer my question!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 4 13-04-2003 , 06:20 AM
You need to bind the mesh to the joints. Select the root joint of the skeleton, shift-select the mesh, then go to Skin > Bind Skin > Smooth Skin. At the default settings, you may get some ok deformations. Chance are you'll have to edit the vertex weights (Skin > Edit Smooth Skin > Paint Skin Weights Tool options box).

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 13-04-2003 , 06:31 AM
The Maya Mountain
If you ever get a chance, try my VIP character rigging vids... I go over this process.

# 6 14-04-2003 , 11:41 AM
Kevin
yep follow dannys way on this, but if you get chance or have the pennys then mikes one is im much more detial, my one was more of a "the tools" etc..kind of video, as where mikes whole process is more carefully structured so the skeleton will work a lot better when rigged.