Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 06-11-2005 , 11:25 AM
Subscriber

Why doesn't my subdiv to polygons work like the instructors? Spitfire tutorial

I'm following the Spitfire tutorial (very cool by the way) but I don't understand how the instructor is moving between sub div polgons and back again?

When the instructor is attaching the wing to the fuselage he uses the turn polys to sub div, this I get. But then he seems to click on the sub div to polygons shortcut to jump back to the model BEFORE it was sub divided, kinda like a undo. This I definitely don't get!?

When I do this my object stays sub divided (the polys change slightly too) and in my channels it changes to,subdtessShape1. Why is this not working like the instructors? Ie, simply turning off subdiv like it was a mode?

EDIT: This happens around 10:34 in part 3 and another good example of it is at 21:46.

Please help? user added image

# 2 06-11-2005 , 01:27 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude dont worry about the shortcut as it can throw you. Learn from the main menus then create your own.

Anyway the answer to your problem is very simpe. To convert the poly to a sub D go to the Modify menu>Convert>Poly to SubD.

Okay, when converting back to the base level mesh, again go to the Modify menu>Convert>SubDs to Poly, but to get it back to the base mesh, hit the vertices radio button and put the Level setting on the left to Zero. Sorted.

Jay

# 3 06-11-2005 , 03:01 PM
Subscriber
Aha! I see!

So Maya remembers that I have my subdiv to poly settings set to vertices and levels to 0 whenever I perform that operation again?

Thanks very much for your help Jay. :bow:

# 4 06-11-2005 , 03:18 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yes in a way, now you can create a shortcut from poly to sub d and from sub d to poly for the desk top.

Easy huh? No problem

Jay