Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 18-06-2006 , 02:05 AM

Maya slows down after about 10 minutes of work...

Hey guys maybe you can help me out here. I'm using Maya 7 on a new laptop. I have a Gig of RAM and an ATI Radeon series card (not sure of exact make but it is a brand new laptop)

So my problem is that when I run Maya 7 and I start working on a reasonably low poly head everything runs smoothly until about 15 minutes in, then it starts getting choppy. When I restart Maya on the same project, it's back to running smoothly again. So my question(s):

Is this a graphics card problem? (I heard ATI cards sometimes have trouble with MAYA, but I don't understand why it would run smoothly at first for a while and THEN start getting choppy when the same actions are being performed again.)

My only other theory is that there is some kind of history that is filling up my computers mem and causing it to go slower as I fill it with more actions. I've tried deleting the objects history but it doesn't help. Are there other history files I can clear as well?

Any suggestions would be helpful. It is not a MAJOR prob at the moment, just more of an annoyance. Thanks in advance.

# 2 18-06-2006 , 03:13 PM
Not enough memory or a memory leak. Swap file might not be large enough or possibly it could be because you are running an older type OS. Also try turning history off. Those are the possiblities that come to mind.

Attached Images

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche
# 3 19-06-2006 , 06:08 AM
hey, thanks for the quick reply.

I am running on XP so my OS isn't the issue I think.

I have a gig of RAM and from my experience it should not be slowing this much with what I am working on.

Is there a way to check if I have a memory leak, and if there is, to fix it?

Also, can someone explain the swap file and how I check to see if it is large enough?

I tried working with no history (thanks for the pic, btw) but the problem still persists.

If anyone else has suggestions, I am more than eager to try them out.

# 4 19-06-2006 , 06:54 AM
Memory leaks are usually due to bad software, and your running a good OS, so it is highly unlikely . . . . . the swap file is a file that the OS uses whenever it needs extra memory that is not available in RAM. If the size of the swap file is to small, that could cause preblems. The swap file settings would be somewhere in your computer settings.

I don't know if you can look at your "processes" with XP, but in windows 2000, if you do a control Alt delete, you can look and see what is running and how much memory it is using. For XP, if you don't have that capability, you may be able to find a utility on the internet that can do that. You may also want to do a complete virus scan with an updated virus program.

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche