Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 26-11-2002 , 10:04 PM

Which is the best book for MAya?

Hi!
I want to buy me a book for Maya 4/4.5
Which one would you prefer:
-Exploring Maya 4, w. CD-ROM
-Maya 4 Fundamentals, w. CD-ROM?

CU morpher
# 2 26-11-2002 , 10:29 PM
I wouldn't recommend the first one. I have it and I don't like it.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 26-11-2002 , 10:38 PM
thx for your help!
why dont you like it?

CU morpher
# 4 26-11-2002 , 10:58 PM
Hmm...let's see. Ok

<rant>
Exploring Maya 4 surely is colorful and nice looking book. It even is a thin one (under 200 pages) so that makes it even more tempting to read. But the contents isn't very useful. At least wasn't for me when I got it. By that time I had done the Instant Maya Lessons and the tutorials that were on the Taste of Maya CD. After those there wasn't anything new to me in the book plus the examples aren't very inspiring.
</rant>

About the Maya 4 Fundamentals I can't say a personal opinion because I haven't seen it. People seem to like it though.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 26-11-2002 , 11:16 PM
OK- I have done the Instant Maya Lessons and a lot of tuts and video-tuts, so I think I can count on your opinion and don't buy this book. I will give you a small review as Maya Fundamentals as soon as I have it through.

CU morpher
# 6 26-11-2002 , 11:43 PM
Supreme Being
i have Maya Fundamentals.. i think it's the ideal book for somebody new.. covers a big range of everything.. user added image
haven't read Exploring Maya.. i saw it was rather small in size so i didn't get it..

# 7 27-11-2002 , 12:37 AM
Subscriber
yep, Romans right.. if you are a newbie go with Maya fundamentals and if kbrown says the "exploring maya" books is bad then its bad!

# 8 27-11-2002 , 01:09 AM
I found a book called Visual Quickstart Guide Maya 4. Good price comapred to the other books in the market ($20.00). I use it mostly as a reference. The credits say it's begginer friendly, but I'm a begginer and it ain't being too friendly with me. It's a 300 page book so you can't beat the price on it.

the day we stop thinking is the day we start sinking
# 9 27-11-2002 , 04:22 PM

Maya books

Adam Watikins has a book coming out in a week or so.
His last book on CD4 was great

# 10 03-12-2002 , 05:33 PM

Maya 4.5 books

Are there any books specifically for maya 4.5 unlimited, ive been using 3ds max and have now switched to maya because it seems like a better program. but im finding it very difficult to adapt to the setup so i want to find a book that is very step by step.

if any body know of any it would be apreciated.

# 11 03-12-2002 , 05:39 PM
Subscriber
Hey Frank123 you can "bug" me anytime! user added image
I'd love to share what I have learned of maya, I had that funny newbie feeling also. I'm still a newbie, but I think I have gotten an overview of things now. But dont ask about animation just yet user added image

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 12 03-12-2002 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber
maya fundamentals is always a good bet.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 13 03-12-2002 , 07:57 PM
If you want to wait a little bit Maya 4.5 fundamentals is in development. Otherwise, go for Maya 4 Fundamentals. You can check out info on it as well as a couple video clips, sample chapter, table of contents, etc. at the author's website:

https://trinity3d.com/

Scroll down and look at the left hand side for a small covershot of the 4.5 book and a link to the 4 book. Just an FYI, though....the book doesn't cover some of the more advanced Maya skills....skeletons and all that but it is a good foundation book.

# 14 07-12-2002 , 01:42 AM
i too am a newbie at maya ,going from 3ds max ( its a work thing) i like maya but the way it is set up for mapping just seems wierd..oh well i guess everybody likes the program first learn on in the begining anyway...

# 15 07-12-2002 , 02:51 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mrgblah
i too am a newbie at maya ,going from 3ds max ( its a work thing) i like maya but the way it is set up for mapping just seems wierd..oh well i guess everybody likes the program first learn on in the begining anyway...

Trust me, maya may require you unlearn some of your 3ds stuff but the end results are much better..... <---former 3dstudio max modeler (my iron_tick Avatar is 3dstudio. wait till you see my new one)

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>