Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 24-10-2013 , 01:52 AM

Just some funny stuff

I have not had much time to devote to modeling anything for quite a while but I still try to keep up to date on things.

Recently I was reading about Cinema 4D R15 new beveling functions which they are touting as the worlds best beveling tool. The youtube vids do look quite impressive. So I wanted to test them out so I got a student version and searched around for some tutorials to kind of learn the ropes.

I came across this Batman Tumbler tut. The model renders looked pretty good. It was free. 15 hours of video so it seemed that it would be quite detailed. It's easy enough to google for so I won't put a link here and I would not recommend it in any event.

So I start the first video, it's 35 minutes and there is only this eerie sound track and the guy spends 35 minutes making a rectangular panel!

They claim this is done by a "professional". If so I sure wish I knew who hired him because I could train a monkey to get a job there and cash it's pay checks!

He starts with a rectangular cube and then bevels it and then proceeds to insert edge loops and shape it which of course creates all kinds of crazy geometry at the cormers and any edge with an angle! I sat there literally clinching my ass cheeks watching this train wreck of poor modeling techniques for about 25 of the 35 minute tutorial but that was about all I could bare.

If you want a chuckle google for c4d batman tumbler and you'll find it. The renders of the final model look very nice but the modeling techniques (at least the 25 minutes I sat through) were just terrible.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 24-10-2013 at 01:59 AM.