Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 20-04-2012 , 04:26 PM
But in graph editor I have two lines, why they are related to each other, even if they relates to time/frames and controls different things.
Hmm I believe it is possible, but need to find out how, it would save me days of work.

It looks like you are asking to break the relationship between time and rotation, which is typically how rotation is keyed. The only way to do this that I know of is using set driven keys. You can drive the rotation from the position. Hope that helps.

# 17 20-04-2012 , 04:35 PM
Technical Director
Your question still isn't clear.

What are you trying to make independent? Just saying "these two curves" is not helpful. What is it doing now, and what do you want it to do?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 18 20-04-2012 , 04:45 PM
As I started thread, isaid I need quick way to do this.
And explaining what to do is difficult for me I guess.

I will explain through example, hope it will be more clear.

Lets say I have care moving according curve.
I need to work on two things of that car, speed and leaning angles on corners.
Lets say I have done speed and leaning anles for whole path.
But I noticed that at some point car goes too fast, so i open graph editor, and lower the speed of car.
But then problem appears, not only speed changes, but as well car now leans at wrong place in path.

Thats exactly what I'm having with my project.
I change speed at part where it should go slower, but at the same time other graph of leaning (out ow two, "leaning and speed") changes as well.

Your question still isn't clear.

What are you trying to make independent? Just saying "these two curves" is not helpful. What is it doing now, and what do you want it to do?

# 19 20-04-2012 , 05:27 PM
EduSciVis-er
That's what I was saying...
Speed is a function of position over time. You can't change the speed of something and still have it retain the positions at specific times, that's just not how the physical world works.
Okay, based on that rather obvious principle, the problem becomes: you can't key the leaning as a function of position and time, because as above, these won't be constant when you change the speed.

So, if you can't key the leaning as a function of time, what can you key it as? Set driven keys. Key the leaning as a function of position, which is what set driven keys are for. Independent of time.

Hope that makes sense.

# 20 20-04-2012 , 05:28 PM
Technical Director
Or you could have done what I suggested on the first page, and you wouldn't have had this problem :/

The leaning of the cart to the tracks would have been automatic, and you would've only needed to animate the speed of the cart.

# 21 20-04-2012 , 05:34 PM
EduSciVis-er
ND, wouldn't that still be a function of time though? So if the speed gets changed again, the locator and aim would be off.

# 22 20-04-2012 , 05:37 PM
Technical Director
I'll post up a quick how-to later tonight.

# 23 20-04-2012 , 05:52 PM
In dope sheet its more clear i guess.
I don't believe that two graphs cant be managed differently, they keyed to time yes, but its two graphs.
It woudn't make sense then to display everything in two graphs.. I'm still noob at animation, but ibelieve its possible..
looks simple
user added image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That's what I was saying...
Speed is a function of position over time. You can't change the speed of something and still have it retain the positions at specific times, that's just not how the physical world works.
Okay, based on that rather obvious principle, the problem becomes: you can't key the leaning as a function of position and time, because as above, these won't be constant when you change the speed.

So, if you can't key the leaning as a function of time, what can you key it as? Set driven keys. Key the leaning as a function of position, which is what set driven keys are for. Independent of time.

Hope that makes sense.

# 24 20-04-2012 , 06:03 PM
EduSciVis-er
Where I think this is getting confused is the speed and rotation graphs. It's not speed, it's actually position and rotation, or rather translation and rotation. So it's translation over time and rotation over time. If you change the translation value at a given time, then the rotation at that time is going to now correspond to a different translation value, simple as that.

# 25 20-04-2012 , 06:10 PM
Technical Director
Stwert is right. You're confusing speed and position.

Velocity (speed) = change in distance / change in time

# 26 20-04-2012 , 06:26 PM
Ok ok, I'm bit tired, think little ;D I run three problems at once, scooter, girl and final project - this.
So ok, was confusing. So, could I separate those two, that you see in dope editor ?

Stwert is right. You're confusing speed and position.

Velocity (speed) = change in distance / change in time

# 27 25-04-2012 , 10:25 AM
So, I just remade animation from scratch.
It was too dificult for me to control both things at same time.
First I'll do speed/ position and then rotations.

I got other little question, if model group is assigned to motion path, How could i add other models to it, move together.
standart grouping doesn't help, I need to put model inside group tree.
And as well I need opposite, how to remove model/mesh from group that is assigned to motion path.
picture explains better

user added image
vehicle and camera is attached to motion path, and seat is not, when it should, so i need to move it inside that group.

# 28 25-04-2012 , 01:38 PM
EduSciVis-er
Just MMB drag items in and out of the group.

# 29 02-05-2012 , 08:48 PM
1 Tried that, doesn't work for me :O maya 2012 64bit. Hmm
-------------------------------------------------------
2 It works in Hypergraph but not outliner - more clear view. Maybe some options are locked.

Just MMB drag items in and out of the group.

Last edited by lauris47; 06-07-2012 at 11:15 AM.
# 30 06-07-2012 , 11:20 AM
Hi again, I'm still working on this project. It was my final exam project, I passed it with highest mark, but I still, there is a lot of to do to finish it.

Is it possible to joing two different curves, without loosing ones parameters ?
user added image
first curve has lot of work put in, hundreds of position points made for vehicle, and second curve is just created, clear one. I want to join them, without loosing firs parameters. Is it possible ?
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

Last edited by lauris47; 06-07-2012 at 11:32 AM.