Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-09-2006 , 11:51 PM
Subscriber

Rendering in odd resolutions

Greetings, all!

A question...How can one render a frame in a resolution such as, for example, 1920 X 480 (three times as wide as it is high) without the image being squashed?

I tried setting that resolution into render globals and using a resolution gate, but that doesn't seem to work. I am about to try rendering the pictures at 1920 X 1440 (three times the size of 640 X 480) and "clipping" the whole thing down in After Effects, but I wonder of there's something I am missing?

Any ideas? Thanks kindly in advance! :-)

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 2 09-09-2006 , 09:44 AM
Subscriber
i dont see y it should look squashed

did u mean after u pt it in AF or wen u loonk at it in Fcheck?

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 09-09-2006 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber
Both, actually! I tried inchecking "Maintain height to width ratio" in render globals, but no change. It still renders a squashed sphere!

My guess is that resolution has something to do with the camera, but I'm a clueless git when it comes to the finer points of a camera!

I tried the resolution gate again and a nice box appears right where I want it to, but rendering the frame STILL yields a squashed sphere.

I hope I gave you enough info to help, pb! I appreciate your reply!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 4 10-09-2006 , 07:50 AM
Subscriber
hace u scaled the camera in a way that the scale in y is disproportionate to the rest?

i dont know if this effects it but it may

have u tried using a new camera

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 5 10-09-2006 , 07:52 AM
make sure your device aspect ratio is correct... after you change your values it should automatically change it from 1.333 to 4.000, but if it's not then you still have it trying to maintain some kind of ratio somewhere.

when i rendered a 1920X480 i didn't get a squashed sphere with that value (of 4), but changing it back to the default setting of 1.333 as the device aspect ratio gave me the squashed sphere.

Accept no substitutions.
# 6 10-09-2006 , 11:40 AM
Subscriber
Thanks, PB & NeoStrider!

NeoStrider, your suggestion worked. I changed the device aspect ratio in RG and Lo! no flat planet! :-)

Regards!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 7 11-09-2006 , 01:09 AM
sweeeeeeeeet.

Accept no substitutions.