Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 12-12-2002 , 09:53 AM
Subscriber
I read an interesting fing in me 3D Mag the other day seems Discreet are laying off alot of staff... I somehow think that Maya may be getting knocked from the limelight as a top film prodution tool by XSI, but it has probably pilfered customers from Max. It will probably strengthen the Unlimited version to compete with SoftImage and make Complete more affordable for a bigger user base - that's what I would do if I was in charge of A/W anyway!

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 47 12-12-2002 , 10:18 AM
XSI is gaining massive ground in movie production, mainly because it's new features actually have a practical application in the movie business

Take version 3 for example, it has massive improvements to subd's, it's hair system is fantastic and crowd simulation which has the potential to rival Massive

Where as Maya Unlimited (apparently XSI Advance's main rival), its only major new feature is Fluid Effects. Which isn't compatible with either MR or PRman (the 2 main renderers in the movie business) and I can't imagine many movies need Fluid Effects anyway

Last edited by Tolerate; 12-12-2002 at 10:22 AM.
# 48 12-12-2002 , 10:43 AM
SM Alumni
Hmm methinks we have a potential Mod for simplyxsi.com (when it opens up)
Damn... just realised your just up the road from me too - devon animators in force! user added image

# 49 12-12-2002 , 10:47 AM
Subscriber
Oh Shit! I've just spent £4,995 on Maya Unlimited and now your telling me I should spend another £10,000 on SoftImage XSI...

Perhaps I should model a tree that grows money on it then I can buy what I want except the time needed to learn the programs and actually produce some work with them...

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 50 12-12-2002 , 10:54 AM
Kevin

Originally posted by gazzamataz
Oh Shit! I've just spent £4,995 on Maya Unlimited and now your telling me I should spend another £10,000 on SoftImage XSI...

Perhaps I should model a tree that grows money on it then I can buy what I want except the time needed to learn the programs and actually produce some work with them...

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

everything you will ever need to do or are ever capable of doing..you will be able to do in maya.

Infact probab;y lightwave/max aswell.

Lets face it, unless you in production yourself, in major studies doing anim for a living and need something outragous... your never going to need more then maya!

# 51 12-12-2002 , 11:09 AM

Originally posted by kal
Damn... just realised your just up the road from me too - devon animators in force! user added image

lol

I love both apps, I'm just one of those few ppl that can recognise a feature which is better in another than the one you are using

# 52 12-12-2002 , 06:23 PM
SM Alumni
er excuse me? care to substantiate that rather odd statement?

# 53 12-12-2002 , 09:05 PM
the reason max 5 was the best over all upgrade of discreet for max was bec their devt team go into forums frequently to hunt for "i wish i had..." threads....i even know some of the people involved :-) is aw doing the same?

:-)
# 54 12-12-2002 , 09:11 PM
gazz: hmmm.....poor discreet :-( i guess rich autodesk wasnt able to help :-( max is still pretty solid in the games bussiness...it wont die that easily :-)....for me....all softwares are worth learning :-) ecept lw.....its the devil....repat lw's logo 3 times and u get 666!!!

tolerate: very true :-) i find xsi's built in compositing suite very practical :-) havent learned or even started to learn xsi....but it looks promising :-)

:-)