Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-12-2006 , 10:04 PM

Help me put together a decent Maya machine

I'm a student and just installed Maya at home. Very slow. I'm running an AMD 2200+ 1.8Ghz, 512Mb ram, not sure about the graphics card, but everything in there is at least 3 years old. My budget lies around $500. What's a good set-up for the price?

I need a job
# 2 06-12-2006 , 10:26 PM
Acid44
ill pm you on Friday or Saturday if you don't get an answer by then

# 3 06-12-2006 , 10:27 PM
well what about it is slow? if it's the interface that's usually a graphics card problem... so knowing what your graphics card is would help. if it's rendering that's slow that's usually a ram issue before it's a processor issue.

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 06-12-2006 , 11:20 PM

Originally posted by NeoStrider
well what about it is slow? if it's the interface that's usually a graphics card problem... so knowing what your graphics card is would help. if it's rendering that's slow that's usually a ram issue before it's a processor issue.

Both of those are an issue for me, actually. I know I could use more ram and a better video card, but I didn't want to spend the money on that if I'm going to end up buying a whole new computer eventually anyway.

I need a job
# 5 06-12-2006 , 11:22 PM
Not too sure what PC prices are like in the US but $500 for a maya set up will only get you something basic

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 06-12-2006 , 11:26 PM
at home i've got a P4 2.0 with 512MB of ram and a 64MB ati radeon all-in-wonder pro 8500 dv. it certainly does NOT scream; but i have no problems with how maya performs, even with heavy scenes. maybe you're just impatient! user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 07-12-2006 , 12:29 AM

Originally posted by gster123
Not too sure what PC prices are like in the US but $500 for a maya set up will only get you something basic

I don't need anything killer. My home computer doesn't need to top my work computer, what ever that may end up being.

edit: and yes, I'm impatient.

I need a job
# 8 11-12-2006 , 11:39 AM
Subscriber
Well, for about four hundred bucks australian, I just bought something to keep me going for a bit.

Asus P5800 MB - $85 agp - not pcie or pcix
1024 Mb Elixir mem - $160
Celeron 2.66Ghz - $90
WD 80gb 8m cache Sata - $73

It would be nice if the cpu was faster, but they don't come any cheaper than this 'un.

Also, it's a pity I knew nothing about the current crop of 3d accelerated cards when I got the MB. Neither nvidia nor ati's current offering appear to be agp based. But again, it was only 85 bucks and its got 7.1 sound, 10/100 Lan, and intel 865 video, amongst others. Just for an entry-level cards from Ati or Nvidia you need about $250.

It's not uncommon for me to get up to 750Mb used during a render. When rendering the Ferrari remastered model and the Hippo model, the memory ran out and I was into swap-file space.

Also, with the way that memory is organised inside of computers these days, you'll get better performance from 2 x 512 Mb memory modules than you'll get from a single 1 gig module. It'll be cheaper too.

Simon