Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 23-09-2003 , 11:08 PM

First Draft of Modeling DemoReel

Right-Click here and "Save Target as"

This is just for Simplymaya user added image

Hey Guys.. I wasn't ready to make a modeling demo, but a studio requested a modeling demo to go with my matchmoving demo, so I had to make one. Its a little rough, but its about 8hrs of work, this was my fisrt time thru. THere are some things I want to add (like my Ranger and JP Explorer, all my jets, ect...). I hope you guys like it, please let me know what you think. I want to give a special thanks to EMO for hosting it for me. user added image Let me know what you think!! Then studio will recieve it tomorrow, and I will let you know what they say. They actually asked me to just send a few still images of wireframes since I didn't have a reel yet, but I told them I would try and see what I could do over the weekend. What do you think?? THanks
Brian

BTW it uses Divx codec, its a little over 3 min long, and it weighs in alittle over 20mb

Right-Click here and "Save Target as"

Please check
My (old) website!
# 2 24-09-2003 , 12:11 AM
The Maya Mountain
Definitely a cool demo. I think I'd have to pick the alien and flame thrower guy as being the weakest pieces of the bunch.

I think it would have been cool, also, if you had held the JP Jeep a little bit after crushing it, as it would have been an interesting modeling feat of its own.

Awesome vehicle and mechanical modeling, as always. user added image

# 3 24-09-2003 , 12:34 AM
Yes really great demo Brian... I would also say drop the Alien, but i liked the flame thrower. Would be cool to hold like mike said on the car..

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 24-09-2003 , 12:49 AM
Thanks for your ideas. I am going to replace the alien with my ford ranger whenever it is completed. Yeah, I will hold out the shot, or maybe zoom in for the jeep, especially since i invested so much time creating well over 100 blendshapes for the crash.

So... if I am applied for a matchmoving position, and it looks really good, but they just wanted to see some of my wireframes of my models.... do you think having that alien in there is going to hurt my chances? (I allready sent it out they need it by tomorrow)

Thanks
brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 5 24-09-2003 , 01:27 AM
The Maya Mountain
well, people have different strengths, yours being more mechanical. I'm sure they have artists with a more organic touch to do that sort of work when needed.

It's usually a good idea to have your best stuff first, and then something really great at the end... I'd probably have put the alien a little further back in the reel.

No biggie, though. Good luck!

# 6 24-09-2003 , 01:57 AM
Peculiar choice of music, but I found soothing even. user added image

I agree with Mike and Kurt though about the alien, it could go either further or could be replaced instead with the truck you´re modelling as we speak.

Very good modelling reel though, easy to look at wireframes, and the way the camera takes you through some of the models is indeed gorgeous.

They´re in for a very good reel. user added image
(The people at the company you´re applying for)

Last edited by adldesigner; 24-09-2003 at 02:23 AM.
# 7 24-09-2003 , 02:18 AM
The Maya Mountain
uh oh, you're in for it now. user added image

# 8 24-09-2003 , 02:24 AM
Hehehe, Mike.
Nah .. Brian knows what he´s doing. user added image

# 9 24-09-2003 , 02:47 AM
Subscriber
**phew.**... Brian scared me the link is dead and not responding user added image

yeah, I loved the demo too! user added image

o yeah, btw, on average, how was your download speed?

-Emo

# 10 24-09-2003 , 02:49 AM
The Maya Mountain
20ish kps

Or are you asking Brian his upload speed?

# 11 24-09-2003 , 04:01 AM
What? No Furby mobile? user added image

My only comment is that there doesn't seem to be much diversity between the type of models presented. It definitely shows you can model all sorts of vehicles and I know that's your bag but I would've liked to have seen a bit more variety in the types of models (unless you're applying specifically for a job where you're designing tech items and that's it) other than the few shown (i.e., the alien, flamethrower guy, and trumpet). Btw, I didn't realize you were the one that did that trumpet...I remember that from way back when.....blew me away! (nice shader) user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 12 24-09-2003 , 04:22 AM
I know!!! i MISS THE FURBY! I looked everywhere for it, but I can't find the darn thing, The only thing I can find is the face... user added image I have a few more places I can look, if I find it I will definetly add it. THanks for your comments guys!! I plan on making alot of changes. Thanks<
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 13 24-09-2003 , 10:03 AM
D´oh, Brian looks like we exceeded bandwidth? now i cant download your demo (yesterday i could but i had to sleep some timeuser added image)

# 14 24-09-2003 , 11:05 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by dragonfx
D´oh, Brian looks like we exceeded bandwidth? now i cant download your demo (yesterday i could but i had to sleep some timeuser added image)

try agian user added image

-Emo

# 15 24-09-2003 , 12:36 PM
I cant get it either user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB