Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 61 12-03-2006 , 11:58 AM
Subscriber
yep really what can you guys say.

i have a question which is better MEL or Max script.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 62 13-03-2006 , 04:33 AM
n there is a diadvantage user added image, we need more memory for that user added image

Yo mamma!
# 63 13-03-2006 , 06:30 AM

I Think, Maya is better Than Max for Film Making.

Hello,

As for as max is concerned, 3DS Max has its strength got Polygonal Modeling. Polygonal Modeling generates low Detailed Characters, which are more than very suitable for games as game requires low ploy (low detailed) characters. When these low detailed characters are converted into high detailed characters using Modifiers e.g. Mesh Smooth, 3D Model becomes more heavier and for me, even on my P4 with 2G Ram and NX 6600, my machine responds slow while I go to style the hair of my character.

Where as Maya is based on NURBS and has as very good support of NURBS. NURBS give a very smooth and well rounded geometry, so this technique help in generating High Detailed and well cornered models which are the basic need of films.

Particle system in Maya is also much more powerful than that of max and outputs faster and consumes less system recourses.

Similarly, Dynamics and Fluids in Maya are again more powerful. I can render a high detailed water surface on my machine within 15 seconds, where as a scene with same levels of details, takes lot more time in 3DS Max.

Again, Maya’s renderer is quicker that that of 3DS Max.

Though, Maya is tougher to use, but it is pretty powerful than max.

One more thing, It has distributions for various platforms e.g. Windows, Linux, Unix, Maq, where as Max only runs on Windows.

From stability point of view, Maya is more stable. I have never experienced Maya crashing, where as max gets crashes a lots more times due to various reasons e.g. If I am running 3DS Max and open Network Rendering Tools, my scene get heavier etc. This crash ends into corrupting the original source file, most of the times.

Best Regards,
Waheed Akhtar

Best Regards,
Waheed Akhtar
# 64 13-03-2006 , 02:06 PM
Thanks for the comment very much waheed :bandit: .
Still maya rocks.

for a big scene, like what starwars scenes, i dont think 2GB or 4GB of ram is enough

Yo mamma!
# 65 13-03-2006 , 07:58 PM
Subscriber
has anyone here done more than 3 graphic applications.
if so, then which one is/was the most addictive.

# 66 14-03-2006 , 04:58 AM
I havent worked with 3 progs, but i have worked with maya, its the best user added image

Yo mamma!
# 67 14-03-2006 , 05:05 AM

Maya Rocks :)

Hello,

Vasvaas & 13th_resident:

Vasvaas you are quite right. For starwars and so, 2G or 4G Ram is very low. There is a news that Shreck 2 was rendered on a system with 1000 Processors and it took 2.5 Years to be rendered. So we can imagine how much ram would have been consumed. Shreck 2 was done in maya.

Where as Lords of The Rings III, it was done in Maya in combination with ZBrush 2, for skining details of Creatures.

13th_resident: I have worked in Maya and 3DS Max and a little in ZBrush. I preffer Maya over other though it is tougher to use, but has a lot more power and easy work flow, if one get familiar with it.

Best Regards,
Waheed Akhtar

Best Regards,
Waheed Akhtar

Last edited by waheed; 14-03-2006 at 05:08 AM.
# 68 14-03-2006 , 12:56 PM
Subscriber
yes, yes and yes. maya is the best.
is there anyone else here that thinks maya is the most addictive.

Maya is the most ultimate zenith program EVER!!!!! :bow: :eek3: :attn: user added image :bow:

# 69 18-03-2006 , 01:56 PM
Ive used 4 3d progs

Maya
3ds Max
XSI
Silo

And to be completely honest, Silo is the most addicting, XSI is the least fun, 3ds Max is great, but Maya is the best of all time (even tho I personally like 3ds Max more then Maya)

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 70 20-03-2006 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
silo...??? i've never tried that yet.

has anyone here converted a person to maya from another 3d application. or made a person totally new to graphics to use maya.
if yes then how many.
so far i only "converted" 1.

# 71 21-03-2006 , 06:01 AM
I used Rhino3d, then the Max trial for a short period of time, then Maya.

Going to Maya was a win-lose situation from Rhino3d (I didn't even give Max more than a 30-days chance... too poorly laid out :p) I won out for much better animation, UV, shaders, etc.

But the one thing I miss from Rhino is their modelling tools... give Maya proper booleans, and more snapto commands (snap to center, snap to middle, snap to tangent, etc.) and Maya would win.

Though one majorly attractive aspect of Maya is Gelato/Renderman.

# 72 22-03-2006 , 03:21 AM
ive tried a few, but maya was the best, here are my favorites in order from good to bad"
Maya
XSI
Lightwave
3DsMAX

IMHO nothing can beat Maya!!!!!!!

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 73 22-03-2006 , 08:53 AM
Subscriber
I've tried maya and 3ds max, I saw ppl using lightwave and that never really got my eye much, I was using maya at the time. After using maya for a few months, I switched to max cause I was using maya PLE and I didn't like the watermark there. So in a sence I was "forced" to use max, otherwise I wouldn't have gave it a chance. But still while using max i was graving maya, then later on I had a chance to switch back to maya, the original 3d software I started using. And I did, for about 2 days. And that was it. Max had won me to its side and maya was, from then on, a thing of the past for me.

<a href="https://forum.simplymax.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11595">Click</a> Desert Eagle
<a href="https://forum.simplymax.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=4250#post4250">Click</a> Gas Lantern
<a href="https://forum.simplymax.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11714">Click</a> Gas Lantern
# 74 22-03-2006 , 09:18 AM
Subscriber

Re: I Think, Maya is better Than Max for Film Making.

Originally posted by waheed
. When these low detailed characters are converted into high detailed characters using Modifiers e.g. Mesh Smooth, 3D Model becomes more heavier and for me, even on my P4 with 2G Ram and NX 6600, my machine responds slow while I go to style the hair of my character.

Depends how u worked on it, if u're working with a editable polygon in max and add a meshsmooth on top of it and continure working on the editable poly but viewing the meshsmooth result then yes, it tends to go slow. However if u were to work on the meshsmooth's virtices and edges and what nots then u'd get desent speed.

In maya u don't have that, u convert it into a subdiv and u don't get to work at a lower level like in max. So maya isn't computing all the calculation between modifiers at once. What u seemed to have not realised is that max had an option in the editable polygon modifier to turn ur model in a sorta maya "subdiv". Its called "Use NURMS subdivision" and that is faster than meshsmooth. However a faster still is the modifier TurboSmooth that came out in max 7, u can add that on top of ur stack and u get pretty good speed. Meshmooth is a real pain, If u just wanted smoothness then TurboSmooth would be one's best bet.

*Edit* and this is on my computer which isn't nearly as good as urs.

<a href="https://forum.simplymax.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11595">Click</a> Desert Eagle
<a href="https://forum.simplymax.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=4250#post4250">Click</a> Gas Lantern
<a href="https://forum.simplymax.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11714">Click</a> Gas Lantern
# 75 24-03-2006 , 02:54 PM
Subscriber
so tiago2 whats ur main reason you want to stay in max..interface?? or because of its easyness to pick up.
why not do maya.........hate it guts?????? :p