Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 29-02-2008 , 01:56 PM

Timeline Range slider?

The range slider on my timeline has disappeared! AH! Coming from 3DS Max, I've actually just got into this program and am trying to learn the animation tools. I did a test animation of a bouncing ball but when I finished I noticed the range slider in the timeline disappeared.

The range slider being that grey box you can move around the timeline to add keyframes. Mine has disappeared and its frustrating the heck out of me! I've tried setting all menus back to default and uninstalled/reinstalled twice, tried searching online! Nothing! If anyone can help me please I would Greatly appreciate it!

# 2 29-02-2008 , 02:01 PM

Here's a pic

Example pic

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 29-02-2008 , 03:05 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi there are a few ways to add and remove UI items, the easiest is to hold down the space bar and then in the hot box that appears, left click on the blank area East of the center box named Maya then move your cursor toward the range slider (SE) and let go of the left mouse button.
Another option is to go to the Display tab at the top of the Maya UI, then under UI Elements check or uncheck what you need.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 29-02-2008 , 03:54 PM
Oh whoops, maybe its not the range slider I'm talking about. Im talking about the grey little box inside the timeline that lays on top of which frame you're currently on. I've tried all those steps and still nothing = (

# 5 29-02-2008 , 04:55 PM
Have you tried going back to the first frame as it might be off further up the time slider (as it goes to 48 in your example.)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 29-02-2008 , 04:56 PM
Lifetime Member
i'm sorry then I am not really sure what you mean.In your pic above you have all the UI elements showing so it's not clear what you are missing.

# 7 29-02-2008 , 05:21 PM
Here's a picture! It's taken from the Maya tutorial video. btw thank you so much for your help!

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 29-02-2008 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber
You should be able to just click in there, wherever at which ever part of the timeline you want.

Chris

# 9 01-03-2008 , 03:11 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok that is known as the current time indicator and by default, dragging in the Time Slider updates only the active view.
this may or may not be the problem but try setting it to all views.
All views can be set to update by changing Playback settings to Update View All in the Timeline Preferences under Window > Settings/Preferences > Preferences and select Timeline in the Categories.

Other than that I don't know of a way to switch the indicator on or off.

Ok after doing some research in the net it seems it might be a video graphics driver issue and updating your driver or trying an alternative driver might fix it.

Last edited by jsprogg; 01-03-2008 at 03:15 AM.
# 10 01-03-2008 , 03:16 AM
Senior Software Developer
If the Indicator is not there at all, then it might be a graphics card/drivers issue I am afraid.

No reason to change, just either drop your drivers to an older version, or try the current ones. Also drop a line at the-area.com and ask there, maybe they can provide an answer.

The indicator is there always and can only be turned off by an API plug-in as far as I am aware.

Oh one last thing reset you maya profile in the My Documents folder by renaming it to mayax.x.old or something. Maya will generate a new one and see if that helps.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 11 01-03-2008 , 06:03 AM
AH! It works now! I updated my Graphics card and it works! Which is weird because it worked when I first started Maya. Thank you guys SO MUCH for all the help! You guys kick ass!