Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 09-12-2007 , 07:19 AM
Just think of how bad things would be if you hated your job eh?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 32 08-04-2008 , 02:47 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Does anybody know what the salaries are like in England?
Im getting to the point were i need to deside what kind of career im gonna have

BTWsorry for dragging up a dead thread but i dnint see the point in creating a new one

Last edited by elephantinc; 08-04-2008 at 02:54 AM.
# 33 08-04-2008 , 06:04 PM
Subscriber
ok here's a question while we're at it. Say you have a good portfolio, how do you get it to these industries? Mail with a resume and the portfolio on a disc, and just hope for a response? Just curious, I have no portfolio and don't think I'm anywhere near having one even ready, but just out of curiosity I want to know.

# 34 09-04-2008 , 02:13 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yes, Yes and Yes.

But...the portfolio has to be geared toward the particular part of the industry you want to get into. So theres no point showing off you meshes and textures if you want to animate stuff. Horses for course and all that.

Also be aware of the industry you want to work in. games developers dont want to see hi res meshes, despite thats what alot of cool in game cinematics have.

Experience is also worth noting. Im 38 years old and have no experience in games whatsoever and despite 14 collective years in 3d and 2d, in some companies I would be considered a junior, a...F******* insult in my opinion. This has happened to me from a couple of well known companies too.

So even at my 'age' you would still need to start at the bottom in some cases, unless the portfolio is a killer and and they'll consider otherwise.

But not all games places are like it though so thats the upside. Some places like a fresh approach, it keeps the company alive so to speak.

Anyway, portfolio wise, get still images done and a website, but above all a reel is the important thing here, people like the rotational models or the character animation it gives a better perspective on what they are looking at, I guess its nearer to a game graphic or final shot in a movie, so....

salary, hmm, always a difficult one, you'll want what you think you are worth and the company will pay you as to what they think you are worth (and get away with LOL).

Once your reel is done etc, yes, just find the appropriate area you want to get into and send it out with a decent cover letter, showing your enthusiasms. Keep it brief and polite though but to the point. Let your work do the talking.

Oh and dont give any B/S at an interview, you'll get found out later on if you get the job...believe me Ive had the experience of getting rid of people that have done this - on their first day too!

cheers
Jay

# 35 09-04-2008 , 09:00 AM
The Maya Mountain
game industry these days *do* actually want to see high res meshes, all zbrushed out and stuff, but not just by themselves. We want to see them with their low-poly counterparts with the normal maps applied and such.

I think demos are mostly important if you're doing animation. Me personally, not being a professional animator, have never really had a demo reel in the typical sense of the word. I've always just gotten a job by sending employers a link to my website and they take a look at my stuff, mostly simple jpg images.

# 36 09-04-2008 , 12:54 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Mike

Interesting...the dudes Ive had the pleasure of being turned down by wanted lo poly only and werent interested in the hi stuff. Also Ive had to show samples AND a reel. Perhaps going thru recruitment agencies here in the UK is different to yourself over in the US.

Always good to get a different opinion

cheers
Jay

# 37 10-04-2008 , 08:00 AM
The Maya Mountain
well, it's true you have to pay attention to what the employer wants. if it's a handheld Nintendo DS developer, than yeah, low poly only would be the norm. But for PS3, Xbox 360, etc, high-res models being used to bake down into normal maps is pretty normal. I do that myself at my job.

My current job, i got through a recruitment agency, and didn't have a reel, so I dunno. guess it just depends.