Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 25-12-2008 , 08:31 PM

Dark areas appear on object when shaded

Hey, Im modelling an object in maya which has many sections that slot together to create a cube like object but seperate when needed.

I want thin creases running round the edges by slightly bevelling the edges and i have tried to do so but i get dark patches appearing when the object is rendered or shaded.

Is there a problem with my geometry?

Please take a look at the attached images.

Thanks,
Ben

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 25-12-2008 , 08:32 PM
Here's the wireframe.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 25-12-2008 , 08:33 PM
And the render.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by bobsquish; 25-12-2008 at 08:36 PM.
# 4 25-12-2008 , 09:00 PM
This might help...assuming that the geometry is ok.

select the object, then under normals menu, select soften edge. Then with the object still selected, open up the chanel editor. You will see the softedge in your history with an option to change the angle. Try an angle of 30 to begin with and if that doesn't work then just try different angles to see if you can find one that works. If not, then it's probably a problem with your geometry. If so, maybe do a clean up.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 25-12-2008 , 09:18 PM
Thanks for your help Perfecto, i tried changing the angle but to get rid of the patches the other edges became too sharp so i just applied it to the edges around the seam and its improved a lot.

Thanks,
Ben