Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 18-07-2006 , 01:42 PM
Subscriber

Polygons to Subdiv

Hello!

When I try to convert my poly mesh to a subdiv, I get an error: "Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details."

Then I go to the Script Editor:
// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): The conversion to a subdivision surface failed:
// This polygon contains an interior vertex connected by less than 3 edges.
// To fix the problem, either remove the edge with the interior vertex, or subdivide the polygon so that the interior vertex has at least 3 edges.
// The indices of the vertices in question are: 532. //
// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

Can anyone help me? Why does this happens and how can this be solved?

Thank you,
Sepraud

Last edited by Sepraud; 18-07-2006 at 10:54 PM.
# 2 18-07-2006 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber
dude i have the same problem with one of my own models an i need to know how to fix it
- if u subdivide it works but u end up with a higher poly count
- if u have zbrush imort it an it will fix it the just import it back to maya

icant find this face ne where

would be grateful too if ne 1 knows how to fix it
(an yes selecting all the verts in the model an hit dele doesnt work

thx

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 18-07-2006 , 04:57 PM
Subscriber
in display - custom poly display ...do you have border edges set to 5 and to show them ? now do you see thick lines. they should only appear when they are at the very end ...

also if that doesnt fix it ..hit spacebar and pick verticle faces ...see if you see mroe than one on top ..shown if you look careful another line at the edge of one ..just delete it and add it back by append poly . That is one way to add back .

if not post a picture or file ...

also if you convert to subd and it errors out ..do you have in the options box of convertion set to high enough amount ?

. .

# 4 18-07-2006 , 11:04 PM
Senior Software Developer
Your error is due to the amount in the Poly to SubD option box.

The default is 1000. If you open the script editor and read the lines it will tell you what number to enter, just round it up and it should convert ok. But do as mmoore has suggested also.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 19-07-2006 , 01:33 AM

Originally posted by R@nSiD
Your error is due to the amount in the Poly to SubD option box.

The default is 1000. If you open the script editor and read the lines it will tell you what number to enter, just round it up and it should convert ok. But do as mmoore has suggested also.

thats not true, you get a much different error for that.
but yeah, you do get an error for that too
cheersuser added image ,
-andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 6 19-07-2006 , 10:16 AM
Subscriber

the file

It didn't solved the problem...

Here is the file:
dog.zip

If you found how to fix the problem, teach me - please !

Thank you,
Sepraud

# 7 19-07-2006 , 11:05 AM
Subscriber
i could not open the zip ..it says it is damaged ....did anyone else have this happen ?

# 8 19-07-2006 , 11:22 AM
Senior Software Developer
Yup,

Looks like the archive is corrupted.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 9 19-07-2006 , 11:38 AM
Subscriber

File Replacement

I'm sorry!!!

I've already replaced the file.
The link is the same:
dog.zip

Thank you all for your attention user added image
Sepraud

# 10 19-07-2006 , 11:45 AM
Subscriber
ack i dont have maya personal edition on this pc so i cant open it ...hmmmmm ...i am off to work so i cant download PE to look at it ..sorry

maybe another chap on here can take a wack at it

# 11 19-07-2006 , 12:43 PM
Subscriber
okay it has to do with the front leg ...i downloaded PE to show you but i am late for work ... i had to delete inside faces of the leg ...where it attaches to the body.if you look at the new file you can see where the leg flows into the body. ..i did this real quick and by no means look as good as it could . ...later i can look at it more clear and give better example and layout the front leg better ...but where your front leg was put on the body it made some weird geometry. If you look at the leg i did real quick it is the same but do you see how it flows into the body and not just standing out like yours ? i deleted all inside faces on the body where the leg would attach, places you would not see unless you went on other side of body , inside of body . then i moved the leg into place and moved the vertices of the leg into place and then i used split poly tool on the body to make new line and inturn that made vertices i could attach the remaining leg part . ..here is file ..if you dont understand i can try to explain better .

it is in poly now.

also it is very important to have clean lines. that helps a bunch when attaching parts together and also just to have a good clean model. I can show better later if you want and it helps with troubleshooting. i would take look at my file. it was done really quick but i tried ot show how lines was suppose to flow and look ..see how with yours there is not a deep edge between the leg and body ? that is what needed to be cleaned cause was not attached correctly .

Attached Files
File Type: zip dogfixed.zip (60.5 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by mmoore5553; 19-07-2006 at 01:42 PM.
# 12 19-07-2006 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber
pbman- if you want to post file i can take a look at yours too and see where it is off ...

# 13 19-07-2006 , 02:57 PM
Subscriber
also Sepraud you always want to have a clean model. I have attached a picture of project i worked on dragon. IT is not the cleanest model by far as I am still learning but it helps with shape and too look better when you convert to subd. Also allows you to better manage your file ...

see how all lines are paired up ? also how each one of them has four sided ..those are the best to have ...

i know you are new but these concepts are good to get in the beginning to avoid problems in the future and to help troubleshoot ..cause all lines flowing and together ...hope this makes sense

i know where you connected legs that is where geometry needs the most work

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mmoore5553; 19-07-2006 at 06:06 PM.
# 14 19-07-2006 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber
thx for the offer
mmoore5553
but im okay now

a lot of searchin in various modes an isolating patches of faces ect i found it - it has happed to me before but i found it real quick this however was a pain - it was right in his armpit
but thx newayuser added image user added image :attn:

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 15 19-07-2006 , 07:31 PM
Subscriber

solved!

mmoore5553 - You solved the problem! I read what you wrote in your post and I looked at the dog model fixed by you and then I was able to fix it by myself.

Here is a print of the bad vertex (inside the red circle) that didn't let me to convert the poly to subdiv:

user added image

I didn't understood very well what you were saying about making a clean model... Can you explain it? Are you talking about the problems I pointed in the picture above with the orange arrows. Am I right?

I'm seeing that Simply Maya it's a very nice community!
Thank you all!user added image