Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 05-02-2012 , 09:51 PM

Should i learn Nubrs and SubD for VFX?

I am really confused of this thing. Should i use Nurbs, if i want to work for VFX industry? My other question is, is it used in VFX at all? I see that only Double Negative, studio in London, requires to know Nurbs, and SubD for a modeler job. But, in other studio, they don't put Nurbs as a plus.

I don't really like Nurbs, i don't really understands, how does it work, and for what should i use, Same as SubD.

# 2 05-02-2012 , 10:47 PM
EduSciVis-er
If you want to work for the industry, you should at least know how they work and how to use them, even if they don't get used as much.

# 3 05-02-2012 , 11:28 PM
The Nurb Herd
Do you want to be a modeller?

# 4 06-02-2012 , 06:12 AM
Lifetime Member
You can't say you don't like what you don't understand user added image
The same goes, you can't say you don't love cheese burger if you never had one user added image

Knowing Nurbs will eventually helps you as an Artist / Modeler. My verdict is go with it. Learn the basics at least so when you are working in any Studio, you won't look user added image when someone talks to you about Nurbs while you scratch your head. Plus, whatever you model in Nurbs, you can always convert it into Polygons.

Using NURBS surfaces to produce Polygon Surfaces in Maya - YouTube