Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-02-2011 , 04:25 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

februaryChallenge_Speedmachine_Mastone

Okay guys, I"ll probably won't win this one seeing that the end of February is already in sight, but at least it will be a bit of comic relief and a much needed break from a certain archeologist and/or a green disfigured Gremlin user added image.
I have looked at all the other speed challenges and I saw only high tech stuff, which is fine of course, but suddenly as a stroke of seldomly displayed genius I thought of a concept and started doodling stuff on paper I suck at drawing so I will not damage your eyesight if only temporarily, by scanning them in and posting them here, I have made a start just now and doodled some stuff in PS.
Basically it is an early cavemanprototype of a car ( and in consequence the wheel), the car will be situated on a hill where it has dug itself into the ground.
the driver( with his coconut helmet) is frantically tugging at the steering wheel while his assistant is trying to push the car forward, meanwhile the mechanic runs forward with his new invention the triangular wheel and the scientist is at a loss as to why his version of the car/wheel didn't work...
Maybe I will ad a mouse creature somehwere in the lowerleft corner trying to stop a roundshaped object rolling down the hill.

It is probably optimistic on the edge of foolishness to believe I will finish 4/5 characters, a car like object all within a week (-ish) but I think the concept is to much fun to let these matters of deadline stop me user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-02-2011 , 09:09 PM
# 3 20-02-2011 , 12:33 PM
# 4 21-02-2011 , 04:02 AM
EduSciVis-er
Now that looks like a blaze of speed... haha, nice job!

# 5 21-02-2011 , 08:27 AM
Glad you like it, when I get home today I will try and model the definite scene, so I have a whole week to tweak shaders and textures and a bit of look development, maybe adding some visual jokes ( like an oker ferrari emblem on the hood )

# 6 21-02-2011 , 11:03 AM
Lifetime Member
bahahahaha.....bahahahahahaha how appropriate

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 21-02-2011 , 03:39 PM
Subscriber
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAA

Love it

# 9 22-02-2011 , 10:59 PM
At least the comic relief succeeded user added image, I have been fiddling with the cavemen ( I will actually copy this mesh 4 times and alter appearance and will in the end only generate a couple of different displacement maps to save time).
I won't be bothered to much with the quality of the hair since I will fix a lot in post and there isn't much time left and still need to make textures for the car user added image and model some surroundings.
I have handpainted the skintexture, I know here are some anotomical mistakes but I hope that the general look and feel will make you forget about it in the end user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 22-02-2011 , 11:21 PM
The thin red line
Hi mastone
I do like the cave man, I think the flint stones had round wheels..........dave

# 11 22-02-2011 , 11:29 PM
EduSciVis-er
Wow, that caveman looks really good actually. Well done.

# 12 23-02-2011 , 01:23 PM

Hi mastone
I do like the cave man, I think the flint stones had round wheels..........dave

The flintstones are an advanced civilization compared to these guys user added image, these are the jack asses of the prehistoric era user added image.

# 13 23-02-2011 , 01:24 PM
# 14 23-02-2011 , 03:20 PM
The Nurb Herd
haha, the car looks like chocolate biscuits.

# 15 23-02-2011 , 10:12 PM

haha, the car looks like chocolate biscuits.

Cavemen gotta eat as well user added image
have been fiddling with the caveman today ( have been painting textures on the car as well

Attached Thumbnails