Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 21-10-2004 , 09:38 AM
Subscriber

Careers

Guys

My background is solely IT orientated, although i have always had a very high interest in 3d animation i have never actually had the oppertunity to move into this type of position - this probably way too early to ask but do you know of any companies that allow junior modellers/animators to join them and learn at the same time? (UK)

Cheers

DW

# 2 21-10-2004 , 09:57 AM
Subscriber
Hey there deathwish.

Quite a few very excellent companies in London take on juniors...such as The Moving Picture Company, Framestore CFC and Double Negative. Unfortunately, many companies like the above will only take on juniors who have relevant industry ecperience or are studying for a relevant degree, although it is possible to get into the industry without any formal qualifications. It is also very unlikely that they will take on juniors for modelling/texturing/animation roles - you would be expected to take on a lesser role for a while, and then hopefully move onto a discipline that you really want to get into.

However, you never know if you don't apply. What will get you a job will be your showreel, and if yours is good, they may not even care about qualifications if you can prove you can do the job at hand. Its worth applying if you think your showreel is good enough.

....another way in is to become a runner (crap money, but it is perfectly possible that you can get into what you want through starting as this, I've know people who started as runners who got offered 3D artist positions).

Good luck, hope to see some of your cool work posted soon!

LisaG :p

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 3 21-10-2004 , 10:15 AM
Subscriber
thanks Lisa - although my work is very limited as i have only been working properly on 3d modelling for about 3 weeks - but i am very keen the only problem i have is that i have a house and dropping the salary to what i expect it would be i just would not be able to do so i will have to wait and get better, thanks for the info though.

I am only just working through the tutorials that kurt and the guys have put out as you can see below

DW

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by deathwish; 26-10-2004 at 12:36 PM.
# 4 21-10-2004 , 10:35 AM
Subscriber
No probs.

DRagon looks ace, keep this up and you'll get a job no prob! Keep at it, its not like the industry will disappear in a few years, they'll be plenty of opportunities in the future. Its always nice to know what the options are tho.

LisaG user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 5 21-10-2004 , 11:20 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Lisa -