Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-06-2005 , 02:17 AM
Subscriber

Well, it's def. not perfect, but it's a beginning!

Modeling with polygons > modeling with nurbs, for me that is! (right now at least)

Well, here is progress, I'm using a tutorial to do this,

this one,
https://www.thehobbitguy.com/tutorial...ing/page01.htm

It isn't done yet, but I was done for the night so I hit the "smooth" button just to see what it would look like. Ugly and mutated little monster :p

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-06-2005 , 02:25 AM
Subscriber
i remember my first "hoobit guy"

i think everyone whos learning maya probably has done or seen this tut.
good first try. i think i did it for about 3 times to get a decent mesh user added image

*this should probably be moved to the WIP section.

# 3 24-06-2005 , 04:43 AM
Subscriber
Ok, perhaps a mod can move it, no problem user added image

Thanks for the encouraging words! I'm saving it quite often so I can go back to X point if I mess up and Undo won't go back far enough (/Yoda/Because horror stories, have I heard/Yoda/) :p

# 4 24-06-2005 , 04:45 AM
Subscriber
Oh, and another newbie question I suppose.

I sorta mest up in where the two "halves" join not only is there a "point" going around the head, but the problem I'm asking about is that I was trying to move some verteces and I wound up putting a "whole" between the two, so I pulled them back together but is there a way to "weld" them? (like in 3D Max)? Thanks!

# 5 24-06-2005 , 06:45 AM
Subscriber
You can merge vertices or edges. Either should work. Both are in the edit polygons menu. Check the option box for merger vertices for tolerance settings.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 6 24-06-2005 , 01:18 PM
Subscriber
Ya'll by chance know why I have the "ridge" rising from where the two are duplicated from? I'm guessing I'm rasing the vertices right on the corner, so it makes it so. :headbang:

# 7 25-06-2005 , 04:56 AM
Subscriber
Like they said you have to merge the vertices in the middle.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 8 25-06-2005 , 05:05 PM
Subscriber
Hello.

I have another question regarding this tutorial. In the second page he sais that you're going to use split polygon tool to make out the contours. But i don't understand how, are you going to create a split and then move the vertices that comes with the subdivisions?

thx.

# 9 25-06-2005 , 06:04 PM
Subscriber
You outline the head using the Create Polygon tool (under the polygon tab).

The Sply Polygon tool just splits that polygon up. It's just a "2D" like surface until you get all of the splits in, then after cleaning it up, you extrude it and then duplicate it (Ctrl+D, but setup the options first) user added image

# 10 25-06-2005 , 06:15 PM
Subscriber
make sure in your split polygon tool you have turned of snap to edges and you should be able to add vertices and edges where ever you want on the mesh

# 11 25-06-2005 , 06:41 PM
Subscriber
thx guys, that really helped!user added image