Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 16-04-2005 , 03:38 AM

Polymodeling the torso

Hi, I am reading through Learning Maya 6 Modeling....I've actually already modeled the human figure with nurbs alright....but I am having trouble with the polygon for some reason...it says to create a poly cube with 4 1 3 subdivisions....I do that extrude...adjust vertex points...etc....BUT.....when I look at my model compared to the model given on the cd....we have the same looking model...but mine has much more geometry..I have a lot of geometry in the middle (they have none)....I do not know how they came up with a model with FAR less geometry (I know there are other methods of polymodeling...but I really wanted to figure this one out.....is there a command that can fix this?.....(aside from deleting all the faces?)

sorry if the wording is kinda sketch..i'm not sure how to phrase my problem so i'll put a pic of the wireframe
thanks a lot in advance
TheAnswerRP03

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-04-2005 , 04:10 AM
Subscriber
delete the edges that are a problem. Also. no need to see all your UI. use a crop on the pic..

# 3 16-04-2005 , 04:17 AM
Thanks for the quick reply....as for my pic..sorry about that...it was my first time posting a pic...I'll know to crop it next time...
also....I am aware that I could delete all the edges...but that would be a long and tedious task...there are several hundred...(and the book does not mention deleting anything..that is why I was wondering if anyone knew what else they could have done)...has anyone done this project from the official alias book....learning maya 6 modeling?...thanks again
TheAnswerRP03

# 4 16-04-2005 , 07:49 AM
Subscriber
I'm going to hazard a guess that you extruded out the torso shape and did not have the "keep faces together" option on.

I base this on two things. The back of torso is missing edges indicated in red, and you have edges inside your torso indicated in yellow.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 5 16-04-2005 , 07:50 AM
Subscriber
the image...

Attached Images

# 6 16-04-2005 , 08:41 AM
Subscriber
I didn't look very good did I. er duh.

# 7 16-04-2005 , 09:52 AM
Subscriber
As many people as you've helped.. I'd say you're allowed a gaff here or there. user added image

Last edited by mhcannon; 16-04-2005 at 08:31 PM.
# 8 16-04-2005 , 01:02 PM
wow...nice eyes.....I think I would have never seen that....yeah...I just looked at the polygon tool options...and "keep faces together" was not on.....thanks a lot mhcannon....I was about to jump up and down and run in little circles...but the problem was as simple as that and I did not see that..I am going to try it with the option on.....thanks again
TheAnswerRP03

# 9 16-04-2005 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by TheAnswerRP03
.....I think I would have never seen that....

You will next time and that's what counts. user added image

# 10 16-04-2005 , 07:16 PM
Subscriber
mhcannon, cool. Anyway I see you all over the place helping.. I here by nominate you for member of the month er something. erhmmm, they still have that going ? LOL

# 11 17-04-2005 , 12:06 AM
i second that notion to make mhcannon member of the month....when he isn't helping people with their problems (which I have seen him do a lot and 9 times out of 10 is able to help)...he is making other beneficials posts that are a big help to others (such as sharing info on websites or....orgainizing the top movie tutorial requests (for example)...anywho..I don't know if they still do member of the month...but you got my vote....you deserve it for all the hard work you put in to help others...all those in favor of nominating him member of the month say "I"user added image
TheAnswerRP03
ps-thanks again for the help...everything is working out fineuser added image

# 12 17-04-2005 , 04:09 AM
Subscriber
**blush** Thanks, I appreciate the kind words but no recognition is necessary, being helpful is its own reward. Ir reinforces the things I do know and pushes me to learn things I don't. Thanks again.