Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-06-2006 , 03:52 AM
Subscriber

maya 4 subDdisplay in maya 7

hello. im currently using maya for some modeling,
but i remember in maya 5 and 4 , when you converted to subD the lines didnt look so messy. they were just clean edges unless you did some hierarchical editing [i.e. level 2 or 3 editing]
but now in 7.0 by default the subD curves look that way where ever there is a quad that is at an angle or a tri or n-gon.
ill post a screen capture
thanks anyone who can solve this.
user added image

# 2 03-06-2006 , 12:53 PM
Subscriber
i thought that happen wen there was some geometry it didnt like ie 5 sided or tris or verts left and some quad awardly position after deleting edges

i might be wrong though

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 03-06-2006 , 01:16 PM
Yeah, I too would like "Normal" subdivisions like in every other sub-d modeler out there. But I haven't found a way to get rid of the extra lines.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 4 03-06-2006 , 02:13 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by pbman
i thought that happen wen there was some geometry it didnt like ie 5 sided or tris or verts left and some quad awardly position after deleting edges

i might be wrong though

the base mesh in the pic is all quads

# 5 13-06-2006 , 07:58 AM
Subscriber
I didn't realize other programs could do it cleanly. I think Vlad is right though, I remember in older maya, when you're at level 2 sub, there weren't any extra lines unless there you had 5 or 3 sided geos.

# 6 29-06-2006 , 09:22 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Vlad

Yeah, this is a common occurance if you have five edges meet causing a 'point pole' effect, its mainly because they are iregular in their placement instead of the tidy side by side effect so to speak.

Jay

# 7 29-06-2006 , 10:34 PM
no... even the side to side faces thing causes this crap to accur... take a look at this.

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 29-06-2006 , 10:45 PM
Well Not so dude...I dunno what you did but that looks as gay as you file name suggests.

Ive just copied your geometry, 10 sided cylinder, 1 division in height and an SD at base level 0...No probs

The occurance in the image as posted by Vlad is as I said an occurance due to the 5 edges creating the 'pole' or an 'irregular vertex' even with all quads

Im using Maya 6 and this only ever happens to me with N gons etc, even from the days of Maya 4, and 5.

best
Jay

Attached Images
# 9 29-06-2006 , 10:51 PM
Subscriber
yeah 4-6 were fine, maya 7 does that wierd extra edges with or without 3-5 sides even at level 2.

# 10 30-06-2006 , 12:41 AM
oh... so 6.5 should work great too. ill go test some more...

# 11 30-06-2006 , 12:49 AM
Well, I have come to this conclusion. When a point shares 4 edges, all is well. But when it shares 3 or 2, then, in some occasions, gayness ocurres. Sometimes gayness doesn't occur... ???

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 30-06-2006 , 12:52 AM
Subscriber
lol nice response. What I started doing was smoothe at level one, then convert to subdivision level 3, no more "gayness".
To me I thought it's not too bad a way to smoothe something w/out too much edges. user added image

# 13 30-06-2006 , 01:21 AM
Subscriber
well good conclusion Matt. except only its not at all true.
i dont really understand why, its not normal dependent, not always "star shaped" [5faces sharing a point] dependentm
i really dont know why alias did this in V7.0
especially when subD editing is like editing NURBS in maya; u dont edit directly on the surface [like you do with polygons]

here is the pic u posted. the suraces hihglighted are the same exact mesh, only 2 extra edges. the 2 faces in the middle are fine

i really dislike this.

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 30-06-2006 , 07:33 AM
Hey Guys

Looking at each and every one of these shapes and divisions, these to me are all just normal occurances of the subd smoothing algorythm. There is nothing out of the ordinary here, I use subs constantly on a day to day basis so what Im seeing is normal, regardless of the version of Maya

As for level edits, well in a nutshell, I'd really steer clear of those and cut in the details you need at level 0. If Im right level edits can be refined up to 13 which is bloody ridiculous.

Tell me, has anyone here had the experience of sd character rigging with level edits on? You need to know your proxy setups or wrap deformers otherwise you're in big trouble when it comes to poses or animation. Level edits bog down the processor/cards and become an almost impossiblity to move.

Best
Jay

# 15 30-06-2006 , 02:23 PM
well... I dont think vlad means that anything goes WRONG with the subdivision surface... more along the lines of "whaaaa??? my wireframe's screwed up?"