Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 29-10-2007 , 12:33 AM

Noob Here With a Question About 3d Paint Tool

Hey Guys

I am new to maya, 21 years old and im really interested in getting into 3d CG. i just started using about a month and a half ago and its been really entertaining and fun. I am trying to get more into it. I think i have a good grasp at polygon modeling but right now i my texturing skills are lacking. I still havent really hit rigging animation and lighting yet.

I am following Learning Autodesk Maya 2008: Foundation. So far its been great expect for im stuck at producing quality work while texturing. The book gave basic instructions on how to use the 3d paint tool. Then it pretty much said "make this" I am having huge amounts of trouble trying to duplicate the end result that was provided with the tutorial. My main problem is that my lines when painting on are not smooth. does anyone have any advice on to use 3d paint tool to make smooth lines that actually look good anr realistic. Not like a kindergardener with a crayon.

Also i am having trouble "Blending" (not sure if that is the right term) colors. What i am trying to do is take a color and trying to lighten over the work space so it eventually will blend in with the color. In this case it would be a darker orange eventually blending into a white under belly of a penguin. I tried using the blur effect and it wasnt giving me the results i wanted. Any advice on how to operate the tools of 3d paint in maya or general noob advice will be greatly appericated.

Also is anyone aware of any good books that would help explain Theories of how to make things look good/realistic. Something that is CG based would be preferred.

Thank you
Da Noob

# 2 29-10-2007 , 01:07 AM
Lifetime Member
My advise is to not bother with the 3d paint tool ,it's ok for putting a bit of colour down for reference but for realistic texturing then creating textures in a painting app like Photoshop or Corel Paint is the way to go.
If you have learnt the basics of the 3d paint tool from the book then you are probably have enough knowledge of it for the amount you will use it in future.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 29-10-2007 , 02:36 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Yeah jsprogg is right about this, people mostly use the 3d paint tool to rough in the texture, it also helps that when you are laying out uv's, you make recognizeable uv shells so that you actually know what you are painting and where you are painting it.
If you are a total noob with maya i personally would suggest not to use the learning maya books, because i think they are unclear on to many things in their books and if you are a real newbie it get's confusing.
The best thing to do is follow videotutorials, so that you actually see what the instructor is doing and how.
Simply maya, digital tutors, gnomon and Lynda.com are all great sites where you can find great learning resources.

good luckuser added image