Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 10-07-2010 , 11:13 AM
Lifetime Member

Maya hole interpolation

Ok we have been through this before...it is interesting as I dont think Autocad has this problem??? I dont know enough about it yet. So when you boolean or cut a hole you are almost ALWAYS left with a remnant lip or weird geo. Now I have tried all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff to get this to work...nothing does UNLESS you somehow tell Maya not to move certain geoo...dont know.

Any of you mad cats out there want to chat and or experiment...as this will no doubt be problems in all sorts of situations. Here is a pic of an experiment (it is not a WIP Mods...dont rope me in again like you did with the Me-262..LOL).

Its a curios way of Maya intrpolating the mesh...I would like to understand why it does it??

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 10-07-2010 , 11:14 AM
Lifetime Member
and here is the original...see the rim studs are cutout in the rim and the centre piece.

Edit: it would be nice to have a 'drill' function...bahahahaha

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 10-07-2010 , 12:06 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
When using the boolean tool you need to plan ahead, just looking at the disk should have had 20 section I think it has 10?........dave
any verts maya puts in I normally delete then put my own in.

# 4 10-07-2010 , 12:29 PM
Subscriber
given the information (or lack of) that maya has, i'd say it's normal...
it needs more polygons. make everything quads and give it better topology and it should come right.

and yeah, a 'drill' function would be most useful!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 10-07-2010 , 01:13 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL Chirone...yeh it was just a thought...Im trying to spark more chat about it. I can give it WAY mucho more topo...but that kinda sucks if you want low poly but need the detail...if you know what I mean.

dave...yeh I tried that too...painful isnt it???? IF you do it on a flat plane...no problem..BUT if you need to intersect etc etc it becomes a nightmare. I will try in Autocad and see if it has the same problem.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 6 10-07-2010 , 08:53 PM
Out of curiosity, can I see the unsmoothed wireframe?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 7 11-07-2010 , 12:25 AM
Lifetime Member
you can perfecto... I know we have been through this ..its just annoying I cant find a solution.

cheers bullet

I have moved edges and verts 5 times all over the place...it makes no diff.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 8 11-07-2010 , 02:32 AM
np mate, that's what Simply Maya is all about, "Helping each other out". I went ahead and modeled it for you so you could see how I would do it (not that it's the best way). I didn't want to spend much time on it otherwise I would have edited it some more according to the red lines I put. After I modeled it and smoothed it, I noticed that the small holes weren't perfectly smooth on the outer rim. I think if you do the edges like the red lines, it would make it perfect. Anyway, I hope that helps.

If you want, I can email you the file that way you can examine it better. Just let me know.

Tip: After I modeled it, I created cylinders to put in the holes. Then I did a smooth preview and in the top view, I tweaked the vertices so that the holes fit snuggly around the cylinders. Then I went back into perspective view and tweaked any verts that needed re-aligned in the Y direction.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 9 11-07-2010 , 03:29 AM
Lifetime Member
aahhhhhh I see you have rotated the boolean cylinder so the 'point' is at noon!!! I had the flat part across it...you bloody champignon you!!! It will still have a little crease but you have eliminated a lot of it.

I noticed the model I got from a mate had the holes on the flat part of the rim and they didnt go 'up' into the bevel..they must have had a similar prob??

cheers mate...

will PM my e-mail mate

bullet1968

# 10 11-07-2010 , 07:29 AM
The thin red line
Snap, had to meny beer to post last night. This was done with booleans...........dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 11-07-2010 , 07:47 AM
Lifetime Member
I can see nothing on that dave....must have been a big pint!!! I had my cylinders rotated so it was flat across the top..the point should have been pointing up.

cheers bullet...hic...hic

bullet1968

# 12 11-07-2010 , 08:11 AM
The thin red line
is that better

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 11-07-2010 , 08:14 AM
I dont think Autocad used polys, its curves and surfaces.

I think Maya pulls things as it uses the Catmull Clarke (or Jos Stams derivitive of it) smoothing where it tries to average the surfaces.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 14 11-07-2010 , 08:24 AM
Lifetime Member
I will do some research gster...you are probably right.

I will attempt to make the rim now

AND then give it to my mate.....who will be posting soon I hop....doing a car and he is doing fairly well.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 15 12-07-2010 , 10:33 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah Maya is Catmull Clarke SDs. Only the best.

Booleans aside, it is possible to do this without them, with a similar amount of Geo and a few extrusions in and down.

I know this has all come up before in other posts, but booleans are kind of avoided like the plague - generally because of the uncertain geo and mess that they can leave behind. I'm still kind of baffled as to why they are even in the software.

anyway, its looking good now

Edit: Looking at the geo dave has there, a boolean wasnt even needed as its so clean and all in place, as I said a quick extrude would do the trick.

Jay