Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 18-04-2003 , 11:45 AM

Image planes problem

Ok, I followed the tut for the image planes for the shark tut and adapted them a little bit for the car that I am making.I would like to know how to keep the image planes visible when I go into wirframe mode.When I go to wireframe the image planes dissappear.I have a feeling that it has something to do with layers but I havent ever used layers before so I dont kow how to work with them. Can anyone help me??? Thanks user added image

Black_Robe

''Where do we go now?Where do we go now?...''
# 2 18-04-2003 , 05:05 PM
Subscriber

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 3 18-04-2003 , 11:04 PM
Thanks...but...Ive already got it. I tried setting up the images like that before,as it is usually how I do it but it didnt work out prperly and I etried it several times.I finally got them right when I used textured planes instead.I only need to know how to put the planes into a layer that is not effected when I go to wireframe display.Is this possible? Thanks user added image

Black_Robe

# 4 19-04-2003 , 12:20 AM
Subscriber
i dont think thats possible tho, all you are doing is using an object textured as an imageplane so maya treats it as an object,,

i could be wrong tho

# 5 19-04-2003 , 01:06 AM
I guess you are kinda right tariq...well here is way that i use to put image planes into layers...so that i can manipulate them...so here is my way. let's say i want to put a profile pic in the side view...what i will do is :
in my side viewport... View>Image Plane >Import image...
i will select the image i wana put in that viewport.
after setting the scale or other properties...
i will create a new layer. and in my Perspective Viewport i will drag a selection around the image plane. and image plane will be selected...now you can assign it to the layer....
works fine for me....
p.s: one it gave me an error and did'nt let me select the image plane while dragging a selection around it.... so i just closed and restarted maya... dunno what kinda prob was that though.,...
so Black Robe, you check it out dude....it will work user added image

# 6 19-04-2003 , 06:08 AM
The Maya Mountain
when you use a polygon plane as your image planes, Maya treats it as it would any object and show its wire in wireframe mode. What I do is use a locator control with Set Driven Key manipulating the model's transparancy in order to see the image behind it.

# 7 19-04-2003 , 06:17 AM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
What I do is use a locator control with Set Driven Key manipulating the model's transparancy in order to see the image behind it.

Exact process can be found in the VIP NURBS Shark tutorial. In case you guys wonder at this fascinating technique.

# 8 19-04-2003 , 09:16 AM
thanks guys, Im gonna try shoaib's technique and if not I'll just try going back to my old technique.Some times Maya can be VERY annoying user added image

Black_Robe

# 9 19-04-2003 , 10:55 AM
Subscriber
Hmmm, that sounds like a very good method Mike!

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 10 19-04-2003 , 11:29 PM
that's a nice method mike... i m gonna try it out too... but it sounds cool too..
and robe let me know if it worked for you or not...

# 11 25-04-2003 , 07:17 PM
hi robe,

u can download my plugin 'ds_Trans' fromt the mel download area.

It can be used to adjust the transparency of the default shader.

works Just the way mike told.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
# 12 25-04-2003 , 07:35 PM
I wonder why we can´t use Wireframe on Shaded though?