Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 76 13-09-2003 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber
hey its looking really good, taking shape user added image

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 77 13-09-2003 , 08:48 PM
Subscriber
To get the total number of polys, you need to select all objects (not faces or edges) and choose Polygons>Triangulate. That way, all of your faces will triangulate. Again as Icarus said, if you only want to triangulate a few faces for some reason, you need to select the faces.

# 78 14-09-2003 , 01:54 AM
Subscriber

Triangles?? Doh!

Counting Poly's????
Hmmm... Darkware you have confused me a bit here....

If I have the selection (i.e. whole scene) in 'Green or White' ??
Then I get an Error when I try to triangulate....
But, if I then convert so Faces or Edges I get a result in the poly count HUD...?

Must be doing something wrong, it worked OK 1st time I tried it....Hmmm....?
i wonder if it's because, last time I used it, I left it on? I dunno?

But I get a result if I select sedges or faces? Hmmm, I forget fault, but it says something like 'wrong selection' ? So I went for face/Edges...BTW - wanna do "All the scene - In poly count" at the moment... Thanks.. user added image

Regards Scraggy :bgreen:

Last edited by Scraggy_Dogg; 14-09-2003 at 02:00 AM.
# 79 14-09-2003 , 02:02 AM
If you want to get the poly count of all the objects in the scene, select them all, so they are green or white, and do Polygons > Triangulate. Make sure you havent got anything else in the selection that isnt a polygonal object or it will give you that error.

# 80 14-09-2003 , 02:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanks

Hmmm Thanks,
I better check what's going on...
And there was me going to move on to the tunnels/passages Rooms etc ...

# 81 15-09-2003 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber

New Lower Poly Version (NPLV) - lol

Hi, Here's my new terminal and seat, I like the older one's style better, but this has less poly's so will keep it as 'Furniture' .....
I haven't a clue what to do about the 'Texturing ' part of this competition, I have made some really cool ones in Photoshop, but none are any use for this scene? well, NM will keep going and see... Anyone need a Denim texture :p

BTW - When I saw the shape look like a 'Hunched figure', I sorta played on it... Does it make it look naff? If you don't know what I'm on about - NM
Scraggy
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 82 16-09-2003 , 01:03 AM
Subscriber
I like that uses its polys efficiently and is a good shape imho.

# 83 16-09-2003 , 09:15 PM
Subscriber

Need help..

Thanks Witchy, and may I say your Character is looking really cool, the face is coming on great, I will have to have a go at that Character modelling soon but I don't have a scanner to get the Images in. [I've never even set a plane up yet!] I don't suppose there are any on the net??? (Got links to cars and spacecraft maybe will try a simple one of those first)

I hope someone can help me out here because I have been trying to create decent looking texture(s) for my Level.
I'm especially having problems with mesh type ones or the 'walkway' type of stuff - like in Unreal. where there are just raised bumps so you don't slip. Are there any tutorials for Photoshop that shows how to do grills/mesh's etc?

And the 'alpha' channel... Is that for creating these bumps, in a bump-map? (And do I need one to create a 'glass' texture?) I'm just about to try learning how to create them in Photoshop, some basics would help a lot..

Regards Scraggy

# 84 16-09-2003 , 11:45 PM
i must say scraggy, i like that new terminal you made. keep up the good work user added image

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 85 22-09-2003 , 05:44 PM
Subscriber

Textures Textures.....

Having major problems with Textures, but being as I ain't posted in a while here is where I'm up to....
Have not been able to do much since the Fan fell off my VGA board and no-one would attempt to fix it - I have had to do it....!!

Regards Scraggy -

BTW I have given up on doing hallways/rooms etc because I have lost so much time trying to make textures, and with the fan problem aswell - have no time left.
Poly's still way below the Maximum set by Mike so will do my best to use this Competition to learn Poly's and Texturing - I even went out and bought "Maya Savvy" today because this texturing I find really hard...(Even though I could not afford it!) - LOL

Regards Scraggy

Attached Thumbnails
# 86 25-09-2003 , 12:43 PM
Subscriber
Still having problems making my own textures, I'm getting a bit fed up of looking at a blank 512 square in Photoshop.
I may do some more modelling and call it a day.

Scraggy user added image

# 87 25-09-2003 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber
Hey, i love this for the most part. Its very techy and has a good look to it. Just whats throwin me off if your pointed house roof and box off cuttings on some of those large buildings in the back. I think they need a overhand and i say ditch the pointed roof. Just my opinion though user added image. Otherwise im liking everything!

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 88 25-09-2003 , 03:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
Might want to start texturing here pretty soon. Time's runnin' out. user added image

# 89 25-09-2003 , 09:26 PM
Subscriber

Needs a Blue Pill.....

I have tried texturing, but looks so bad..... user added image
I really don't want to put it up on display.... Its been this for like 2 weeks now..(Check my prev posts) It really sucks...
I have done some Photoshop tutorials and done some texturing tut's but all are wrong for my scene.... To be honest I'm a bit fed up with trying (That's why I bought the book) ...

Regards Scraggy

# 90 25-09-2003 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber
Well this may not help but I'd say keep at it.

I have been having a few problems myself (this is my first game model texturing experience and first humanoid complete uv unwrap so you aren't alone int he wow this is a big task thing).

I found the best thing is to look at your model and pick one part and then work on that part. Looking at a whole scene and thinking 'OMG I haven't textured it yet' is depressing.

I find now everything is mapped (and what a process that is) taking one thing into PS to work on is actually quite a relief.

Pick something small from your scene and try applying the tutorials to it - there are some good PS metal ones on the net that are easy to follow for example and I am sure you need something metal! Once you have one thing it'll get easier.

And now I must return to ripping out my remaining hair over dwarf beards 8).

Don't quit now!