Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-05-2011 , 03:28 AM

Revolver

A generic Revolver i designed. I wanted to do a project with no refs just go off my imagination and this is what i came up with.

After my first renders were really bland my girlfriend recommended a brushed silver/bronze look to it which ended up giving it a steampunk look i like.

Although i have a laser sight on the bottom rail i removed it for render as it looked bland in comparison to the rest of the gun.

I have no plans to add anything else to this as i was testing some techniques that worked well.

Attached Thumbnails

# 2 24-05-2011 , 09:17 PM
The thin red line
I know you said you were not planning on doing any more but I think a occlusion render on it would bring out the detail better...........dave

# 3 25-05-2011 , 01:21 AM
Sadly im very bad at render settings and have only very recently used anything other than default maya textures and default settings.

Do you have a link for a tut on occlusion renders?

thanks.

# 4 25-05-2011 , 06:14 AM
The thin red line
We all have to start some were, heres a free tutorial and its here, do a normal render do not change the camera angle then do a occlusion render take into photoshop put the occlusion render on top of the colour render, set the mix to multiply or over layer and play with the fill..........dave

https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=180&sub_cat=0

Last edited by daverave; 25-05-2011 at 06:20 AM.
# 5 28-05-2011 , 01:53 AM
After some tweaking i managed to get this. not exactly what i was trying but still having problems with AO renders.

Attached Thumbnails