Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-08-2004 , 07:54 AM
Subscriber

Research: Human anatomy(Nudity)

This first post slot will be updated with the latest so newcomers can see what they're getting in to.

Working on the body shape right now. Will move on to texturing, rigging, and advanced with this. Will also build skeleton and other anatomical structures.

Looking for good definition on a human. Ei. skin irregularities, curves, folds. But all C+C welcome.

Using a average in-between type body. Not very skinny, nor close to being termed over weight.

working on belly and knee's right now.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Pony; 25-08-2004 at 04:30 AM.
# 2 22-08-2004 , 08:30 AM
Subscriber
great start. is this with poly?

# 3 22-08-2004 , 08:51 AM
Subscriber
Looking very anatomical user added image good work.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 4 22-08-2004 , 08:47 PM
Rely impresiv pony but i knew that you are wery good with maya and modeling!!! And yes iz it poly model??

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too
# 5 22-08-2004 , 11:20 PM
The Maya Mountain
Looking really nice user added image

# 6 23-08-2004 , 12:00 AM
Subscriber
Thanks all.

its subD.. no speed problems at that low a mesh and some node tweeks.

# 7 23-08-2004 , 05:49 AM
Subscriber
was not happy with that very first post render. So hear is a nother one with requested angles and a skin shader to better see the typoligy.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 23-08-2004 , 12:44 PM
looking good Pony, keep it up!! user added image

# 9 23-08-2004 , 02:05 PM
Subscriber
1) first thing i noticed is the size of the crouch area. it's a little oversized. i'm not sure if you are following a direct image or just building a general anotomically correct female figure. but from my view, it looks a little too big for a crouch are, it starts too high.
2) the shape of the legs needs more tweaking. as they appear to not have enough volume looking at the side view, and they are modeled too close to eachother. in a "natural pose" i think it should be modeled with at least 3-4 in appart.
3) the belly seems too high, this might be again because of where the crouch starts to take shape.
4) from that side view, the butt looks to be not in a correct position.
again, i'm not sure what kind of reference you are following, if you are modeling this character "pixe by pixel" from your ref, please say so. otherwise i've attached an image to give you an idea of what i am saying.

user added image

following images taken from 3d.sk free samples
Copyright 3d.sk
user added image

# 10 23-08-2004 , 02:26 PM
Hey pony hope that you will not get angry on me but I must ask this question on your post, where I can turn on some poly counting?? I know how to do it with CPS but there must be a way without it!! And Vladimir there is meny ways that women can look and in even more in that eria belive me user added imageuser added imageuser added image

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

# 11 23-08-2004 , 02:37 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Ankalagon
And Vladimir there is meny ways that women can look and in even more in that eria belive me user added imageuser added imageuser added image

indeed. but anatomically, the proportion are always the same [ as pony entitled his thread "Research: human anatomy", i assume this is a serious project, it's not like he can just make up his proportions as he sees fit] . overall, a female figure looks the same, just varies in shape, but the body structure is the same. and like i said, he did not specify if he is following a specific human figure or if he is putting this together peice by peice from different refs.
so my changes are based on the specific model ref that i posted.

Last edited by vladimirjp; 23-08-2004 at 02:40 PM.
# 12 23-08-2004 , 05:20 PM
Got me Vlad user added image what you say abouth my question?? where is poly counting option in maya??

# 13 23-08-2004 , 07:27 PM
Subscriber
Ankalagon, no prob asking in hear. You had other comments about the thread anyway. You can tern on the poly info in the heads up display, that will give you a face count and verts etc. If your after the exact tri-poly count, I believe that would be found as a Mel in the bonus tools. Mike might have more specific info.

Vlad. Some points there. I'll respond in next post. Thanks for dropping by.

Last edited by Pony; 23-08-2004 at 10:31 PM.
# 14 23-08-2004 , 07:38 PM
The Maya Mountain
Maya 6's polycount HUD now counts both Quads and Tris.

# 15 23-08-2004 , 08:07 PM
Subscriber
Hay Vlad, you get one and a half points. Thanks for your thoughts. Your right I am serious hear. LOL The point on the crotch glad you caught that, I was aware of it just almost forgot to get it. Although I would because I'm not done editing in that area but that’s a little ways off. In a lot of models that area gets the least attention yet the most.. What I mean is they make sure it looks good. But they do not leave enough polys there for the aria to deform correctly when the legs spread any. I'm waiting to do major work in this area because the ref I have the legs are not spread apart enough for that. This is probably not the best pose to model with. But for the purpose of all this it was more important to work with the best average body.
The thighs can probably use to tweeks on the inside part connecting to the torso. a bit toward the front.
The belly button occurs almost halfway between the bottom of the breast bone and crotch. Which puts this belly button right on. What I have so far kind of makes it hard to judge this. No problems.
The pooch on the belly most all women that have a bit of weight have that there. The major fat deposit there starts halfway between the belly button and the crotch.
The girl in your ref is not average. She's very skinny and muscular. Ave woman don't have that width between the legs in the crotch area when their standing straight or even with feet a little apart as in your ref. I'm guessing sure but its around 75% of US women don't have to much space there. Women in Asia have that though, the width in the crotch aria. Or women that have some bloodlines back from that arEa of the map. For the most part.
Some of these things you didn't know so on that part I apologize for not being as informative as I could have been. One of my goals in this is to get a some what perfected wire that is useful for the widest range of bodies. As you stated the average build remains very constant considering, in say bone length etc. and Average it is I'm after not to skinny. Not to over weight. This reference is my best guess at the in-between. In-between super skinny and the verge of the term obese.
I think this will make it the most reusable. Besides if the character is way over weight extra geometry will have to be added obviously.
The butt of the girl. Well guys these days are tending to like back ends that almost look like a man. Really that’s rather hard to find with adult women. Just like having fat deposits on the belly and thighs, they also do on the behind.

I'm most interested right now in capturing most of the finer detail that makes a human body. Well human’s, there not very smooth when you really look at them and cg models tend to be super smooth.
I'll get some screens of the ref and model.