Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 29-09-2007 , 01:59 PM

Layered texture help

I've been experimenting with layered textures and shaders, and to be honest I am bamboozled. What I'd like to do at some point is have an object (say a jacket) that is composed of different materials, some parts shiny, some mat etc. I am guessing that a layered shader would be the way to go, with different surface materials and transparencies to control the apprearence of the different parts.

Despite searching the help files and googling, I can't actually find anything that helps much.

Anyone care to give any advice, or try and explain some way how these work?

cheers,

gubar.

Last edited by gubar; 02-10-2007 at 11:58 PM.
# 2 03-10-2007 , 12:54 AM
Subscriber
layered shaders give me headaches too and I'm still trying to figure them out but in your case what I would usually do is make a blinn texture and add a specular map or reflection map to get the shiny parts where I'd want them.

# 3 03-10-2007 , 01:26 AM
Thanks,

glad to hear it's not just me then. I had a little success with a blinn shader and a lambert combined into a layered shader, with the blinn (with a chequered texture on it) allowing transparency over it's white sections (revealing the colour from the lambert), but applying this to something more complex is beyond me.

cheers,

gubar.