Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 21-04-2008 , 12:13 AM
Subscriber

Torch lights and slow render

user added image

here is my basic scene.

My problem is lighting (from the lanterns) and render speed.

When i add a point light to each lamp with a linear decay rate, and shadow casting, rendering takes AGES!!! in fact if i set up more then 3-4 lights in total the scene don't render but instead after 5 mins a popup sais maya has to exit

My comp isn't the prob, i recently formatted, nad i have 2 dual linked vide cards that are quite nice, also 2 gigs of ram and a dual core processor etc etc...

so what can i do to speed up my renders, or at least make them work??

and is there an alternative light form that will work? i have tried them all but i am only used to point light. Volume light seems to screw up when i make it biger and stuff....

lil help plz?? lol

# 2 21-04-2008 , 07:01 AM
poing lighting isn't good in bulk because each point light creates 6 different shadow maps... two for each axis, one in each direction. try spotlights with a high angle like 179...

depending on the complexity of your scene and other factors of your render (raytracing? mental ray? final gather? reflections/refractions?, etc) it may just be a tough thing to render... if you posted a pic i can't see it. stupid work-related thing.

also video cards only help in viewport while in maya and with hardware rendering. they don't help with software rendering OR mental ray. that's all pure processor/RAM.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 21-04-2008 , 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Thats strange, I looked at the image and I read your pc's specs, it should be able to handle this no problem. Are you sure you didn't accidentally crank up some kinda setting somewhere in the render settings? I don't recall ever coming across that particular issue. Thing is, I don't see any shadows, and the lanterns don't seem to be contributing to the lighting at all.

- Genny