Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-07-2008 , 03:15 AM

Question Help how do i create interactive video exporting from maya?

Hello everybody

i would like to create in Maya a room with paintings and statues like virtual tour, all though i want the result to be fully interactive thing, such as somebody will be having to click any of the objects the camera will be focusing on it and the user can see the object and read the history or comments about it. how can i do that ? is it possible? and if it is what program do i have to use to do it?Oh keep in mind that ii is for web use in my personal web site!

can anybody help me with that please?

i wil appreciate any kind of help.

thank you in advance
Edit/Delete Message

# 2 27-07-2008 , 02:00 PM
Subscriber
i'm quite certain Maya is only a tool for modelling and animation
and you can read user input to make things happen

which means to use it in the purpose that you want you need to get another tool to create the interaction

now we all know that Maya has been used in the games and movies industry, but it's not alone. when doing things with visual tools it's more often than not that people will use multiple tools rather than just one monolithic tool

to achieve what you want you'd need something else to do the programing

can i ask what you want your end product to be? like is it an exe file that someone can just run?
do you expect people to run this off the web or from a distributed CD?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 27-07-2008 , 03:39 PM
Subscriber
I believe he said it is for a personal web portfolio.
from what I've seen done on the net and for client work I believe you can achieve what you are trying to do with Flash, Maya, and some clever video editing/compositing tools.

If you are not experienced with them it is going to be one HELL of a challenge for you. However I know that using flash you can start with (for example) your bedroom as an image. And when someone clicks on the light switch, you want the light to illuminate the room. Well with some code and switches in flash you can tell it to play the animation of your light turning on and thus the renders from off to on and then have flash wait for the next input from the user. Say look to the left. Again you would have to create this animation, render it out and then have flash call for it to play for the user.

where it gets complicated is the number of variables in the Scene. What happens if a user comes to your site and see your room. They proceed to open a window and then look to the left. What if you have only rendered those tasks in full light but the user has not yet clicked on the light switch?

Sorry if this seems a little confusing or off path but I as a programmer I can list off the number of issues you have to plan for if you want it to be clean, well executed, and professional looking.

If you want more info, just holler!
Cheers,
Alexander

P.s. Welcome to Simply Maya.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 4 27-07-2008 , 08:43 PM
I know what you're talking about.

In an issue of Computer Arts, Ray Caesar (an artist who makes surrealist pieces in Maya) had a virtual gallery displaying his works and you could walk around as if it was a game. Comes with copy protection too, so your works are safe. I don't seem to able to find the disk, so I can't give the name of the app, as I don't remember it, but it is a universal binary around 16 MB.

I see if I can find it tomorrow or something... it has to be buried somewhere.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 5 27-07-2008 , 11:48 PM
OK, after thirty minutes of going through my pile of CDs, I've found it...

The app is called Image Armarda Gallery.

It lets you make a 3D virtual gallery where the user can walk around. If they see a pic they like, they just look at the pic and press enter and the camera focuses on the pic, while displaying a caption. It will also send users to a link to somewhere like your website.

www.imagearmarda.com

# 6 28-07-2008 , 12:21 AM
thank you for your replies guys!

"The architect" got closer to what i am looking for ,all though it appears that there is a small problem, i dont see anywhere in the company's site if the image armada is compatible with Maya.... and if i can display in there the few statues i made in maya in there. I will contact the company to find out anyways but any additional help or tips from you will be greatly appreciated.

# 7 28-07-2008 , 12:40 AM
Ray Caesar (the artist I mention earlier) uses Image Armarda, and he uses Maya for his works, so I assume its compatible. I imagine that the program would have sort of exporter for Maya.