Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-04-2009 , 09:00 PM

PLEASE HELP

# 2 02-04-2009 , 10:58 PM
Hi Jonnyman20, I'm new to Maya too but I can maybe help a little, in your screenshot your model isn't centered exactly in the x axis, meaning when you go to cut the model in half it'll cut more over to one side and mess up the whole mirroring back over process, when modeling it's best to keep the model at the origin, when in the front view you should always have a line of vertices going exactly up the y axis so when you mirror over the two parts meet together seamlessly. Hope that's pointed you in the right direction, and hopefully someone else will explain more if you need it.

# 3 03-04-2009 , 12:30 AM
Subscriber
the issue isn't to do with the placement of the model

the reason why your model isn't going to cut in half is because you're model doesn't have a line down the halfway point

you see in your polygon model you have a giant triangle strip? you can't delete half of it if there are no edges on the halfway line

however, your head is ok. it has edges along the halfway mark

this is a problem with your conversion from NURBS to polys. try different conversion parameters when you click the option box next to convert > NURBS to polygons... also, when you convert you should convert as quads, not triangles.

you can still play with the conversion parameters after you've converted if you have construction history enabled

some of your edges look like they are already on the halfway line of the model, so what you can do is use the split polygon tool to draw in the edges that would enable you to properly delete half of the model

also, this may sound a little harsh but in future please title your posts properly. titles that have the phrase "help me please" (or similar) in them shows people you haven't actually thought about your problem. Although this may be untrue for you being new to maya and probably the concepts of 3D user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 03-04-2009 , 04:25 AM
Chirone: You were totally right there, just wondering how comes he's got a line right down the middle in the nurbs pic but not the poly?

Sorry Jonnyman20, the advice I was giving was for if it was poly modeled I think!

# 5 03-04-2009 , 04:30 AM

# 6 03-04-2009 , 05:18 AM
The Nurb Herd
insert an edge loop... then just delete it later.

# 7 03-04-2009 , 10:24 AM
Subscriber
to remind you of what the split polygon tool is and what it does go to the tutorials that come with maya
then navigate through:
getting started with maya > polygon modeling > lesson 1: Modeling a polygonal mesh > splitting polygon faces

and that's the split polygon tool in use

alternatively you can use the insert edge loop tool as hammer suggested
it's much quicky when you want to split a strip of quads up (it only works with faces taht clearly have an opposite edge)

as for your NURBS conversion, the only thing i can think of is that your tesselation method is by count and you don't have the same isoparams on both sides of the surface

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D