Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 09-11-2007 , 10:49 PM

help with smoothing and creasing

Hi,

I'm having some issues smoothing out my model. I need to make some sharp edges and everything I try results in some sort of creasing or pinching that I do no want. I started with a polygon and I've tried two methods. I tried converting to subd and then using the crease tool to create the edge I want, but when I do this I get some pinching on my model. Also, when I render, the corners where I have creased edges are being rendered as rounded corners instead of nice sharp corners (see image below).

I've also tried adding edge loops, but then I get creases in areas I don't want them. Images are below so you can see what I am talking about. Can anyone offer some advice as to how I can get nice edges without creating pinches or extra creasing?? Thanks in advance!

user added image

# 2 11-11-2007 , 08:16 AM
mmm. You're probably going about this slightly wrong. It looks to me like you're adding too much detail to the sub-d mesh anyways. Also, sub-ds cannot do sharp 3-plane (like for a cube) corners (I've tried, for a number of reasons).
What I reccommend is actually making the thing in straight poly (at least, from what I can see so far), and then just beveling/smoothing the edges that need to be rounded.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 3 13-11-2007 , 01:15 PM
Thanks for the response Xander-0. Can you explain what you mean in a little more detail. How do I bevel/smooth out my polygon shape. I thought that's what sub-d was for?

# 4 14-11-2007 , 02:39 AM
ehhh.... sorta.
basically, sub-d is just a method for smoothing polys (from what I've been told, not necessarily very efficient, but I don't use them much, so I don't know about that). It allows the retention of sharp edges, but not sharp corners.

I think largely its used for organic end-modeling (Gollum was made with sub-ds). Polys are terrible for trying to do curved surfaces, but NURBS have an even worse time with sharp edges. So sub-d is a compromise - you get sharp edges where you need them (mostly), and can easily do curved surfaces. I think (but I don't know for a fact) that most machine modeling is done in polys.

Anyways, the bevel and smooth stuff can be used by selecting edges or points or faces or whatever, and then hitting the appropriate buttons. In the 'Edit Mesh' section, I think it was (under maya 8). Actually, you may also want to read up on messing with normals in maya - you can get a surprising range of results just by changing how light changes from one surface to another.

That said, most objects in the real world rarely have a poly-sharp edge. So, doing partial creases on things in sub-d may actually work out (and you should be able to use fewer divisions, too). However, if you do need sharp corners, you're going to have to go poly, not sub-d.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com