Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-12-2014 , 08:59 PM

Edge loop showing only a dot problem.

Hi, everyone.

I recently started Maya and have been following a few tutorials. The problem I have is with the edge loop tool.

Whenever I click insert edge loop, usually a ring shows up in the place where the loop of edges is supposed to go.

However recently, my model somehow got messed up and when I click on the edge perpendicular to the loop I'm trying to make, it simply shows a dot like the dot you get when using the splitpolygon tool (the slideable dot on edge).

I have searched online but I can't seem to find anyone else posting this problem anywhere. I did read up a bit about edge loops and it seems they work best with quads. However, my model is pretty basic with only quads (in the place where I am trying to insert the edge loop) and since I have been following a tutorial, I doubt that I messed up the model too much.

I have tried restarting Maya, resetting the edge loop tool, and making sure my model doesn't have floating vertices.

This problem HAS happened before on another model I was working on, but I didin't know how to fix it then and I don't remember if I fixed it, it fixed itself, or I just ignored it.

I know an alternate solution is to use the split polygon tool, however this is a limited fix approach. I will be building more complex models later on and I need to know how to make sure this doesn't happen again and if it does, what the easiest way to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated, and if you have no idea what i'm talking about let me know. I am not sure how to upload a screenshot, but if it is necessary I will try figuring it out.

# 2 13-12-2014 , 09:12 PM
EduSciVis-er
It's possible that the edges haven't been merged together or some other strangeness with the geometry, like normals being flipped across the edge. Can you post a screenshot of it? Edge loop tool is finicky and will only work when there are proper quads adjacent to each other.

# 3 13-12-2014 , 09:18 PM

Last edited by S0NOfG0D; 13-12-2014 at 09:25 PM.
# 4 13-12-2014 , 09:26 PM
EduSciVis-er
So those faces aren't quads. See the edges on the side of the hand? They make the faces into 5-sided polys. You'll have to do some more splitting or deleting before the insert edge loop will work.

# 5 13-12-2014 , 09:38 PM
Hmmm...

By the edge of the hand, I assume you mean the 5 sided poly right by the thumb?

And if so how would a poly on the other side of the hand affect an edge loop I'm trying to insert near the pinke finger.

user added image

https://i57.tinypic.com/1r9mjd.jpg

And im sorry if I don't understand what ur saying, I'm still new so I'mt not sure how this would affect the other side of the model even though it might be obvious

# 6 15-12-2014 , 02:14 PM
EduSciVis-er
It's an easy mistake to make, but those top ones are not quads.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 28-12-2014 , 02:07 AM
Oh thanks so much, I had no idea that's how it works. How exactly would i fix this? Could I merge the edges/vertex at that point?

# 8 05-01-2015 , 03:38 PM
Just delete those edges and the edge loop tool should work fine.

I would recommend some books or youtube vids for character modeling. They will show you the best strategies for edge flow, etc.

Also, Im not sure if this is what you are going for, but there are much better ways to model a hand instead of trying to combine/bridge from a cube to cylinders which it looks like you already did with the thumb perhaps, and are intending to do with the fingers? If this type of geometry is what you are going for, or if there is some other reason, then please ignore. However, if you are just new and if you really want to model a hand that will deform nicely when animated, will be easier to texture (unwrapping uv's, etc.) and will just plain be easier to model, then there are much better, faster and more efficient ways to go about it. I only say this because when I started out I used a similar approach. Once I learned how to "box model", things came together really quickly and it was a much more enjoyable experience!

Good luck!

# 9 13-01-2015 , 10:41 PM
Yeah, right now I am watching youtube vids and the guy in the tutorial used that technique (box+cylinders) and I have just been following along. I now there are better ways to do it, but I am still trying to understand the basics. No idea what unwrapping UVs or whatever.

How would you recommend I learn as fast and as thouroughly as possible?

I need to finish a 3D in the next 2-3 weeks so currently my plan is something like:

- Finish Modeling (2-3 days)
- Shading/coloring next? Texturing (2-3 days)
-Rigging (Use preexisting rigs) (3-4 days as i learn the basics)
-Animation (keyframe and tweens, dont know anything yet) (3-4 days)
-Render/Composite/Sound (No idea how long or how to even do this)

Once I complete the animation, I should have a much better idea of the whole process and I can focus on each one, one at a time.

Also, quick question: What do I use to make it all one finished animation?

When would I add in effects? CAN I add effects with Maya?

# 10 14-01-2015 , 02:43 AM
EduSciVis-er
Sorry I didn't reply earlier about your edge loop fix. You could have either deleted those side edges or continued them through the rest of the hand with the split poly tool.

2-3 weeks is pretty ambitious for the whole pipeline. I fear you may be overwhelmed by the vast diversity of topics you'll need to learn from scratch. If it's a required project, just remember to keep it simple, and don't get discouraged. You might have to compromise on a few things.

You can add some effects in Maya (it has very robust particle, cloth, and hair systems), but many other effects can be done in After Effects, which is also a good program to put it altogether into one finished animation (editing, compositing, effects etc).
Hope that helps.

# 11 14-01-2015 , 04:24 AM
Yea it is a required project and I am mostly going to keep with maya/AE/PS

Is AE used in the industry at all?

And what would you recommend compromising on?

I think I am planning on making an animation with a ninja fighting a robot.

What do you think I could compromise on?

# 12 14-01-2015 , 02:32 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yes, After Effects is used in "the industry". It might not be that prevalent, depending on what job you want. But, I can't imagine any good employer turning up their nose if you create good work with After Effects. Learning a new tool is secondary to making excellent work. I remember reading way back (might have changed now) that applicants for being an animator at Pixar are not required to have 3D animation experience. What?? Traditional (2D) animation is sufficient. Why? Because learning the tools is secondary to being able to create a convincing performance. The principles translate. That's why the question of whether AE is used in the industry is somewhat moot.

You want to make a ninja fighting a robot in 3 weeks. My suggestion of a compromise would be to make one shot of that (e.g. a ninja flourish and a quick zoom in to the eyes), just a few seconds, but it will be much better executed than a full story arc. Also, I don't know what visual style you want, but go non-realistic. You'll have more freedom and it can be just as engaging to have a blocky cartoon style or whatever.

# 13 16-01-2015 , 11:45 AM
I have to ask...how is it you are expected to deliver--with no experience to speak of-- a scene complete with fully modeled, skinned, textured, rigged, animated characters, some special effects and then ultimately rendered in under three weeks?? I am assuming you don't have a day job, but even so, that would be a tight deadline for a team of seasoned pros. Seriously. It is possible for a noob to do it...but a more realistic deadline would be 12 months (for something half-way decent) if you are having to teach yourself everything.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you cant even figure out how to model yet, let alone all of the other things that you will need to know. There is nothing wrong with being where you are at in your knowledge level...just don't expect to pull that off by yourself where you are now, man. Unless you are delusional or naive. user added image))

If you have to have something...buy some finished models at least and work from there.

# 14 19-01-2015 , 09:02 PM

I have to ask...how is it you are expected to deliver--with no experience to speak of-- a scene complete with fully modeled, skinned, textured, rigged, animated characters, some special effects and then ultimately rendered in under three weeks?? I am assuming you don't have a day job, but even so, that would be a tight deadline for a team of seasoned pros. Seriously. It is possible for a noob to do it...but a more realistic deadline would be 12 months (for something half-way decent) if you are having to teach yourself everything.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you cant even figure out how to model yet, let alone all of the other things that you will need to know. There is nothing wrong with being where you are at in your knowledge level...just don't expect to pull that off by yourself where you are now, man. Unless you are delusional or naive. user added image))

If you have to have something...buy some finished models at least and work from there.

Well, we aren't expected to deliver in 3D lol. This is supposed to be an animation project (flash) and I decided to do 3D because I really wanted to do it. My character is almost done. I can't imagine the textures taking too long. With your advice, I think I will use a free rig or something and then animate.
I might be in over my head but I challenged myself and I will try to complete it.

# 15 20-01-2015 , 03:02 PM
Well, I admire your spirit and ambition. Reminds me of myself...which is precisely why I know what you are in for. user added image

if you pull it off, post it to youtube i'd love to check it out! user added image

All the best to you.