Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 10-07-2014 , 07:31 PM

Maya 2015 Organic Shattering

I have not done a lot with maya dynamics so i am looking for a little help here. I am trying to achieve and organic shattering effect on a rock and glacier but the shatter tool can be a little tricky.I am having trouble shattering my object to the level i need to look organic (100's of shards). Maya crashed when i try to process that high of a shatter.

Questions:

Can I shatter an object and continue shattering the individual shards again?

Can I use the dynamic shatter effect for a PTEX textured object?

Can I select specific faces or areas of an object that i want shattered rather than the entire object?

Thank you, any help is appreciated!

# 2 10-07-2014 , 10:40 PM
SM Tea Boy
Maya shatter is simply not that great. Try soup https://www.soup-dev.com/examples2_3.htm

The learning curve is steep but if your going to be doing a bit with dynamics in maya soup is definitely one plugin you want in your arsonal.

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 25-03-2018 , 01:12 AM
Besides Soup, are there other plug-ins for Maya (2018 on a Mac) good for shattering? Soup demands a subscription fee and I don't do enough with dynamics to justify a monthly expense.