Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 16-06-2003 , 04:09 AM

obj import -- polys don't texture

Help please. I've been importing OBJ files into Maya and having trouble applying shaders. I've used the stone shaders from the aliaswavefront site on polygons and nurbs made within Maya -- no problem -- but applied to my imported objects in the same file only the basic color, transparency effects show up. No bump, for instance. Something to do with the 2d textures...? user added image

This has happened on mac and pc for me.

# 2 16-06-2003 , 04:45 AM
Did you double-check the shader's attributes to make certain there's something plugged into the bump node when applied to the imported object?

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 16-06-2003 at 04:48 AM.
# 3 16-06-2003 , 08:34 AM
and check how the UV are laid out

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 4 16-06-2003 , 01:47 PM
Here's my test example. Cube and ring are both textured with the same shader. The ring ignores images attached to the color node and just displays a basic default color.

By "check how the uvs are laid out" do you mean cylindrical mapping, automatic, etc? I've tried both; the UV texture editor shows the shader applied. Otherwise, my semi-newbie brain doesn't understand.

Attached Images
# 5 16-06-2003 , 04:32 PM
just sos you knows, I tried out the results mentioned in :

https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthr...&threadid=6299

Used the Relationship Editor to create a new uv set and connected the texture nodes to it -- got some action from that. Not sure which type of mapping I used... maybe planar, anyway, there you go...