Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-12-2003 , 01:46 PM

CPS - Hard edges when they should be soft

Hello fine poeple.

Just this week I finally got around to having a play with the Connect Poly Shape tools, but Im having a slight problem when it comes to my edges.

Following the basics tutorial, when I delete the face for the mouth my edges are hard, where the chap in the video has smooth edges to his mouth hole (picture supplied). Im hoping someone can tell me where the option to change that is so I can have smooth edges. user added image

It doesnt matter so much for this tutorial as the edges get hidden inside the head, but I'd like to know what to do about it for future referance.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by [icarus_uk]; 10-12-2003 at 01:49 PM.
# 2 10-12-2003 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
can't figer it out, but when you do more inside modeling on the mouth you will not have the problem anyway.

# 3 11-12-2003 , 01:47 AM
Thanks for taking a look at least. T realise that it doesn't make much difference in this tutorial, I'd just have liked it to look how the videos looked. Ahh well, onwards and upwards.

# 4 12-12-2003 , 12:19 AM
Open the CPS control window (as in the image & tutorial) and try pressing the buttons i've marked off.

Hope that works.

Attached Images

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 12-12-2003 at 12:24 AM.
# 5 14-12-2003 , 10:30 PM
What version of CPS are you using ?

I know theres a setting for exactly that problem, somewhere in the CPS, but I tried to see if I could quickly locate it - but failed user added image

I stumbled across it some time ago tho .. I am using version 3.6 for maya 5

The older versions of CPS smoothed like your image as default, but they changed it in the newer versions.. but as you siad yourself, it doesnt matter for the tutorials.

I hope you figure it out, and when I come across that option again, I will post it here.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 6 16-12-2003 , 08:05 PM
Ahh I have CPS v3.0. Has anyone got a link to a newer version?

# 7 17-12-2003 , 12:36 PM

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S