Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 20-09-2006 , 06:46 PM

Need help in Sub Div and Layer

Hi guys, when I proxy smooth (subdiv smooth) my model, I get the smoothed shape and the polygon shape transparent. My problem is the smooth shape is connected somehow to my proxy layer. So when I add the smooth shape to my smooth layer, it doesn't work. When I want to see the smooth shape, I have to make sure my proxy layer is V in the layer panel. I want to make them separate and when i clicked on the shape and right click the layer and select remove selected object, it doesn't remove. Please help.

I also have another problem when I create a object, how do i make it give me the default box instead of having to make my own manually. Thanks

# 2 22-09-2006 , 01:21 PM
well first off, did you actually use smooth proxy, or did you convert to subd?

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 23-09-2006 , 06:18 PM
Thanks for the reply, I used proxy smooth

# 4 04-10-2006 , 05:06 AM
sorry for the slow reply, but i've heard others trying to get rid of the reference mesh... and from what i remember reading, there's just an option you use to turn off its visibility that's not related to dumping into a layer (cause it's always gonna be attached to your smoothed copy).

i happen to have maya open so i'll give it a try, tool around til i get it, and post again soon.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 04-10-2006 , 05:22 AM
well after reading the help files, i found that there's hotkeys for toggling that proxy mesh on and off...

to toggle back and forth between the two (only seeing one at a time) then press the ~ key (without shift). it'll show you either your proxy (the unsmoothed) or the smoothed object. if you want to see both of them at the same time again, just hold shift and press your ~ key.

it also says you can increase (and decrease) the density of the smoothed object by using the 'page up' and 'page down' buttons... pretty easy, eh? user added image

Accept no substitutions.

Last edited by NeoStrider; 04-10-2006 at 05:27 AM.