Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 76 25-02-2007 , 09:25 PM
Hey there, yes I use a bunch of layers (about 25 right now), walls, couch, tv-set, paintings, windows etc. When I model a new thing I hide all the layers.

# 77 25-02-2007 , 09:40 PM
Great work and rendering DJbLAZER, you've just about nailed the realism aspect in most areas.

Keep it up user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 78 25-02-2007 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber
if you want to import another object, such as a DVD player into your scene that you made in another maya scene or project, you would import it as a 'reference'

Import/reference; and then group it and give it a name.., eg; 'DVDreferance.'

not much piont in that unless the project is super huge, as in a movie rather than a scene, in this case as said.., use layers.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 79 26-02-2007 , 09:08 AM
Subscriber
thanks for your help dj, and mirek

# 80 26-02-2007 , 12:24 PM
Subscriber
that OK user added image what goes around comes around user added image

I have been thinking about this project and yes, for what my humble opinion is worth I can see the point, as a hobby and self satisfaction I imagine this t be very fulfilling, as something practical in the film world it is something one would not do. Too much time means too much money.., i guess I am always thinking, 'how to make the best movie with the least money.'

# 81 26-02-2007 , 01:52 PM
DJbLAZER - this is looking really cool. that board game looks like a lot of fun. Really enjoying seeing each render. Good job mate.
user added image

mirek - I'm sure I've seen you post your own realistic drawing of a head at one time. I don't see the difference - as gster said this is something you do to practise your skills. I don't recall DJbLAZER saying he was making a movie.

# 82 26-02-2007 , 02:53 PM
Subscriber
Arron, I agree.., read more carefully, I DID acknowledge where I was coming from in my seemingly radical post. It was ME referring to movies, that was my 'mistake', that is what I acknowledged.

try to be less emotional user added image

# 83 27-02-2007 , 12:39 AM
Always a good idea to practise making reality, even if you want to create impossible things. So that you learn how to make your impossible things look like they could really exist?

I think crazy long render times have their place. To make beautiful images to inspire clients to hire you for quicker work.

Just like car companies make 'concept cars' which don't necessarily work too well in every way, but inspire people to buy their cheaper cars.

Just a thought.

# 84 27-02-2007 , 01:02 AM
mirek - what was emotional about my post?? And yes, I know that it was you referring to movies - yet I remember plenty of realistic scenes in films such as Finding Nemo - such as the Dentist's office. To say 'as something practical in the film world it is something one would not do' does not sound like acknowledging a mistake. sorry to stay off topic DJBLAZER.

# 85 27-02-2007 , 01:13 AM
Lifetime Member
great work, i;m liking this a lot user added image

# 86 27-02-2007 , 02:10 AM
Are you using Maxwell for the renders?

edit: I just read the entire thread... Duh! I was more or less wondering on that board game image. It looks very clean for a Maxwell render...but I guess Dj likes waiting 100+ hours for renders so that makes sense user added image. You have the patience of a saint.

What SL are your renders hitting with these monstrous render times? In my limited experience with Maxwell, I seem to find anything over 20 to be tolerable as far as noise goes.

Good looking stuff, keep it up.

Last edited by Co0KiEmAn; 27-02-2007 at 04:33 AM.
# 87 27-02-2007 , 04:03 AM
yes, he is user added image

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 88 27-02-2007 , 06:38 AM
thanks for the positive feedback, guys.

Co0KiEmAn: It really depends on what kind of materials, how good they look at a certain SL. A simple diffuse material can look good at 12, while a glass material can require 19-20. Highest SL in these renders are 20. The time to reach 20 is very different though, depending on scene complexity.

# 89 27-02-2007 , 10:52 AM
Subscriber
'emotional?? user added image means, I was smiling as I wrote it.

There is no way in the film world a render would take that long, their machines are too powerful.., the way I am taught is time is money. So, I guess because of the way I am trained now I think along those terms (call it a rutt). Sure I enjoyed drawing that face you mentioned and it took 6 weeks I think, a long time.., a long time ago.

so as a hobby, I understand this project, but in business, well, is it debatable?? maybe in design?? dont know!

mistake?? no, it was not a mistake, your right, it was ',my take' on it is all. I dont have the time to render an animation for a sequence at those render times. I would never get the project in on time. It would take one day for one second! IN that sense I see no piont but as you say, Arron, DJ is NOT making a movie, he is doing something else.

sorry DJ, your project has me asking questions to myself out loud. I guess thats what these forums are for, to make us think. certainly no slight on your ability and the great modelling you have done. An outside scene would be a great challenge for you, the lighting would give you a run for your money user added image

# 90 28-02-2007 , 01:06 AM
I think there are a lot of areas where it's not of any big importance if a render takes 40 hours instead of 1, advertising, concepts etc.

but let's leave that now, I don't fee like having that discussion again and againuser added image

Here's another render, this time - as I said some time ago - not with the real light setup to quick up renders. Any way did the curtains, and obviously the window light should be going through the fabric, here it doesn't. Don't know if I have to use SSS or if some transparency would do the trick.

There's still some untextured things and missing models in this render.

Attached Thumbnails