Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-11-2006 , 09:44 AM
Subscriber

Kurt's free, basic person; tutorial

I really want to do something organic and really that organic thing is a person. I was happy to see Kurt's new free tut that looked like a standard that I wouldn't have a lot of trouble with and should be able to complete. Looks like there is plenty to learn there and I think there is also a lot of room for imaginative input, as Kurt always says 'one can add a little here and there to suit taste.'

The boat will wait until ALL uni assignments are finished, and also I want to experiment with shadows and using them in photoshop, batchrendering the shadows there to bring down render times in Maya, but until then..,

It is 'the basic person.'

Anyway, this is about an hours worth and I have already learned a lot.

Im glad I have a pause button.

Part 2 was corrupted?? so I have had to download it again, see how it goes, I have parts 1 and 3.

any advise is welcome, thanks.

Muser added image

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 05-11-2006 , 07:54 PM
Subscriber
any ideas why the 2nd part of this tut has come in corrupt?? the first and third parts are fine, I did the third part after I did the second and then I did the second again and still it is corrupt??

I might have to wing it?? or do I need all parts to open the second??

anyway, an update

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 05-11-2006 , 11:56 PM
Once Dave or tubby see's this they will look into it. I will send a message along to them.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 06-11-2006 , 02:53 AM
Subscriber
thanks.

I will do the best I can.

user added image

# 5 06-11-2006 , 04:24 AM
Subscriber
I'm sorry to say it seems part 4 is something wrong; when I used ZIP thi is what the log said;

Extracting file: D:\Basic Human form part 4.zip
Extracting to "D:\"
Use Path: yes Overlay Files: no
Extracting SP350.FrankyFreePart4.avi
bad CRC 6e760ebb (should be ae7a37c7)

when I use RAR it says, this is corrupt or needs another WAR file or something like that.
the 4th one I can see but just as it mearly finishes this warning/error comes up. I dont want to down load it again, I do but I dont?? I might try again. I hope the message from the ZIP helps to solve this. I was getting into it!?

# 6 06-11-2006 , 11:21 AM
Tubby
Have download all parts. Have all tested fine. As a precaution have uploaded these files again to the server.

If your still having problems empty the contents of the windows Temp directory and try again.

Darren

# 7 06-11-2006 , 06:52 PM
Subscriber
thanks, i expected it to be my end, I am usually bow down to those who know more than me, unfortunately, the first one stopped half way through, well it just sort of repeated itself at this point, I'll try to download it again now. it is excellant tut

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 06-11-2006 , 09:16 PM
Subscriber
strangely i reloaded the first one again and it did the same?? SOO, I used windows media player (instead of Nero 'premium'..,premium what??) and it worked fine and I suspect this is the case with all of the downloads, I'm sorry to put you to the extra work, we all have enough work without some idiot (me) making more for us. This is what I did this morning and now I'm off to the library to get Fridays film adds for the whole of 1966 so I can write a 3000 word essay about it by Monday.., fun fun?? what was the film circuit in '66? I don't know about you guys in other countries but here all the drive ins have gone, must have been the good old days, taking a girl to the drive in, would have been a nice intimate little environment. (the car that is)

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mirek03; 06-11-2006 at 09:20 PM.
# 9 06-11-2006 , 10:52 PM
Subscriber
i may have solved the problem with the files, (using windows media player,) but the downloads will not open, just as they are about to complete I get that same error I posted earlier. I will try once more, I already have once this morning but I will try with all windows turned off, If I fail I will now be able to continue.

For anyone who wants to do this tut it is great and I am very disappointed I don't know more about my own computer, or about transfers? Again the fist one is fine today but again the second one didn't work, make no sense?? if one works why now all?

Anway, most unfortunate. If I can get his to work I will be back. if not the END what a drag, it was exactly what I needed.

# 10 06-11-2006 , 11:42 PM
Subscriber
I just downloaded the hands Mikes rendering tut ( and some hands referance images) and IT opened fine. I also downloaded the basic people pt 2 again (4 times now) and STIll it didn't open I got this from the ZIP log (yes I tried bith Rar and ZIP)

Extracting file: C:\temps\Basic Human form part 2.zip
Extracting to "C:\temps\"
Use Path: yes Overlay Files: no
Extracting SP350.FrankyFreePart2.avi
bad CRC ec5fd379 (should be bd15ba7c)

so what a big drag, i guess its sianara (heard that too many times this moth, long, very long strory)

I do have parts one and three (i hope three works OK, I might try to wing it but I feel a bit deflated, I thought I was really gettting somewhere here.

user added image

# 11 07-11-2006 , 05:02 AM
Tubby
If your still having problems try this (if using windows xp):

Goto My Computer.

Select your C: drive (1 click so its highlighted)

Then right click, select Properties.

Then select "Disk Cleanup"
New window open (with a progress bar), it will go in a few seconds and be replaced with a new window.

Tick everything in the list except "Compress old files" and "Catalog files for Content Indexer"

Click "ok" and then "Yes"

This may take a few minutes.

Once finished restart your machine.

Then download the file again, hopefully it should now open.

Windows media player is the best option to play the tutorials with, Nero is well know for its odd file handling.

# 12 07-11-2006 , 03:21 PM
Subscriber
OK, doing that now.

# 13 07-11-2006 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber
what suprises me is NO-ONE has said, 'hey. I downloaded it and it was fine ' except for Tubby?? Has ANYONE else downloaded this, and if so, why is this happening to my computer?? I dont expect an answer but i am curious.

# 14 07-11-2006 , 06:16 PM
Subscriber
I give up, it just got worse, now it doesn't even start to open?? bummer, real bummer. I guess its back to little experiments that really belong in 'tips and tricks' or spend a couple of months making a car or some thing that doesn't really appeal to me or give me much more than I already know, but I guess it looks flashy. I might try the a frog or something. But a person is a very basic skill to have in animation. Its a good start to the road ahead. anyway, as I said for those with a computer that isn't hacked into or something, this tut is great. It is a must do.

I tried to continue on my own but just got angry because I didn't know what to do or use, I tried a sphere, a cylinder. I guess I can look at part 3, it might give some clues if I watch the channels.

from 'misery'

# 15 07-11-2006 , 10:18 PM
Subscriber
still have the problem and what video's are they on ? well let me know