Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-10-2008 , 07:15 AM

Won't save as MayaAscii

Hey there, my name is Heather and I'm an animation student using Maya 2008. I'm not a regular poster here or any forums at all, sorry about that but I was looking for some help.

About 3 weeks ago Maya stopped saving my .ma files. When I try to save as .ma, Maya crashes instantly. The file still saves, but when I try to open the file, some pieces of geometry that I hadn't touched remain (when I'm lucky) but usually everything has disappeared. When I'm really unlucky, even the file I had started out with (not the new save file) is effected and most of it disappears as well. So far though, my .mb and scripts have not been effected. The first time this happened I was working on modeling nothing more than a pair of glasses, but I had lost my current scene and 2 previously saved scenes of the same project.

A short while before that, I updated all of my anti-virus software. About the same time or shortly after the problem started, I noticed that my AVG free (version 8.0.173) was picking up a Maya registry key (I think it is anyway) as a warning object: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\MayaAsciiFile. At first I didn't touch it at all. After the problem persisted, I tried selecting it and putting it in the virus vault. After the problem continued happening, I removed it from the vault and still haven't touched it since. It seems a little coincidental to be unrelated, but this really isn't my area of expertise and I don't want to mess it up more than it already is.

I also tried repairing Maya with the install program, but that didn't work. I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but I figure if the repair doesn't work than re-installing wouldn't either.

I've got a refurbished HP Pavilion, Intel quad processor @ 2.4GHz, 3 gigs of ram, running Windows Vista Home Premium. Now, just to get things clear I'm one of those rare cases where Vista has not f*cked me over once and I love it. Vista is my friend.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you internet friends!

Vinnacus

Last edited by Vinnacus; 09-10-2008 at 07:19 AM.
# 2 09-10-2008 , 07:38 AM

Re: Won't save as MayaAscii

Hey there, my name is Heather and I'm an animation student using Maya 2008. I'm not a regular poster here or any forums at all, sorry about that but I was looking for some help.

Welcome to Sm Heatheruser added image

About 3 weeks ago Maya stopped saving my .ma files. When I try to save as .ma, Maya crashes instantly.

The first thing i would check is to go to the AREA at Autodesk's site to see if you have the most recent update/fix (if there is one for 2008) and install that if the update notes say that is one of the fixes.

So far though, my .mb and scripts have not been effected.

Thats why I first thought of going to the AREA for a possible update. Why it would be fine with .mb files and not the lighter .ma files sounds like a bug to me.

About the same time or shortly after the problem started, I noticed that my AVG free (version 8.0.173) was picking up a Maya registry key

Weird, I have Maya 8.5 Unl. and the most recent version of AVG does nothing to my maya install on my end. This may be one of those times where you may have no choice but to try one of these three things in order:
1. Go to the AREA to see if there is an update to your Maya version.
2. Completely uninstall the app, and reinstall after restarting your machine.
3. Email Maya Autodesk support with your explaination.
Autodesk tends to be slow, but they will get back to youuser added image

I also tried repairing Maya with the install program, but that didn't work. I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but I figure if the repair doesn't work than re-installing wouldn't either.

Not always. All the repair does is overwrite files that are already there, and if one of those is corrupted, then it won't "fix" it, it will just see if it is there and move on, thus not fixing your problem.

Now, just to get things clear I'm one of those rare cases where Vista has not f*cked me over once and I love it. Vista is my friend.

Same hereuser added image I'm on Vista 64bit Ultimate.
I have a tech guy that has been building my machines and render slaves for the last 11 yrs, so maybe I'm lucky, but to be THAT lucky for over a decade, that's not luck, it just tells me that some folks out there simply are not familiar with properly setting-up a machine to do the heavier work we do.

I hope these tips helped, if not, let us know! user added image

...and welcome to SMuser added image

Izzy
Dynamics and Effects mod
Video instructor

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 17-10-2008 , 02:26 PM
Hey! Thanks for the reply, and sorry it took me so long to get back here. Last weekend was Thanksgiving here in good ol' Canada, haha so I've been a little side tracked.

So yeah, thanks for the response!! But unfortunately it didn't work, AVG still picks up the registry and it still won't save .ma's. ARG! I'm going to try uninstalling again, so we'll see.