Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 18-08-2008 , 04:06 AM
Subscriber
i could probably step down the smoothing on the face, its a little unnecessary, as it still looks good at a level 1 smooth, same with a lot of the other elements.
thanks

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
Student: Academy of Art University S.F.
My WIP
# 17 18-08-2008 , 12:41 PM
Subscriber
first render...man i ahve such a hard time with rendering it always looks like garbage...anyone have any tips

Attached Thumbnails

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
My WIP
# 18 18-08-2008 , 01:39 PM
Acid44
i dont have any tips cause i suck at rendering :p but the model iss looking great so faruser added image

# 19 18-08-2008 , 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
I would say start with a more interesting camera angle, the model already has the bind pose thing going on so may want to ditch the 12 O' clock view and maybe soften the shadows a wee bit. This render doesn't "look like garbage" btw.

- Genny
# 20 18-08-2008 , 02:10 PM
rendering is supposed to look like garbage until you've spent as much time on lighting, posing, & camera placement as you have on the actual modeling/texturing...

everyone always wants to learn how to model/texture and then just find some 'make awesome render' preset or plugin *MR SKY COUGH* that will make their model or scene look perfect... you've really gotta finesse it if you want something to look good, because eventually all the plugins will just look same old, same old.

Accept no substitutions.
# 21 18-08-2008 , 02:39 PM
Subscriber
right... but is there any tips to go along with that, like what types of lights to use, how many, where to place em??? ect...

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
My WIP
# 22 18-08-2008 , 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
You could look into 3 point lighting (some people think its a cure all but quite frankly I think it has its time and place). And I agree with NeoStrider, lighting isn't a cookie cutter, cut and dry matter at all, just like modeling,texturing, animating, the possibilities are endless and you can actually find yourself tweaking lights and whatnot and doing test renders for quite a while before you get things "just so". The MR physical sky feature is great (for certain situations)I've seen cases where it did more harm than good.

Personally I think it comes down to what mood you're trying to set/ what you're trying to show off or hide. I suggest you google up images, like studio lighting (or something really specific lol) just as an example and take some notes.

- Genny
# 23 19-08-2008 , 03:31 AM
Subscriber

pic

Render2

Attached Thumbnails

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
My WIP
# 24 19-08-2008 , 04:31 AM
i think you should try a 3 point light system for this character

# 25 19-08-2008 , 10:54 AM
Subscriber
the second one is 3-point,,,,but i think i should do without the final gather...kinda made it come out the way i wasn't intending

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
My WIP
# 26 19-08-2008 , 11:05 AM
if that was three-point the shadow would be coming off at an angle... unless you've got the lighting camera-centric (based on the location of the camera), then it makes sense but really kinda looks the same.

try altering the colors of the lights. you don't have to have a blatantly orange light, but the subtlety of color helps suggest a mood. you'll notice that some people that use a slight color in one light use the complimentary color in the other light. the most successful combo is the orange/blue for lighting. (the blue suggests areas of shadow - or the places where there's a lack of orange lighting.)

don't forget that when trying out the three-point lighting scheme, your key light is the only one that casts a shadow. it's also the brightest of the 3 lights. the fill light should be about a third to two-thirds of the intensity of the key, and your backlight can be a half to a quarter strength of the key.

if you want a softer (but still defined) shadow in the back, try using an area light instead of a spotlight or a point light.

Accept no substitutions.
# 27 19-08-2008 , 11:31 AM
Subscriber
Thanks so much for the taking time to explain.
BRady

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
My WIP
# 28 19-08-2008 , 06:45 PM
Subscriber
it looks great the way iit is now user added image

now make him move :blush:

# 29 27-08-2008 , 09:49 AM
Subscriber

Trying to get the lights right

Another render

Attached Thumbnails

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
My WIP
# 30 27-08-2008 , 10:00 AM
he looks great!

Heheh.. I think he indulged in a few too many donuts... He can barely fit his uniform on user added image

Great work!