Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 16-08-2005 , 07:59 AM
Thanks user added image :blush:

Here's an update, rendered in mental ray:

user added image user added image

user added imageuser added image

Time to get rigging! But, I'm having technical probs with Maya.
Since I've added the alpha channel to my texture, something very weird (perhaps drawing order related?) is going on in my viewports, like this:

user added image

It software renders fine, as you can see. Does anyone know what's going on? It looks really freaky!

# 17 16-08-2005 , 11:24 AM
The Maya Mountain
sounds like a video card issue. Have you checked to see if you have the latest drivers?

# 18 16-08-2005 , 09:02 PM
I've updated the drivers, and no change user added image . I guess I'll have to do the rigging with no alpha map.

# 19 16-08-2005 , 11:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
perhaps check to make sure all the geometry's normals are outward facing?

# 20 17-08-2005 , 08:26 AM
I did check that too when it first started doing it, and I turned backface culling on to double check. It's still being drawn wrong, things that are behind one object /part of an object are randomly being drawn infront, and as you move the camera, different parts flicker in and out of being drawn in the wrong order user added image

# 21 17-08-2005 , 01:27 PM
The Maya Mountain
My last suggestion and then I'm out of ideas. lol Try making a new perspective camera. I've had it occur where the default persp camera does weird stuff, but making a new one works.

After that, I'm spent! Good luck!

# 22 17-08-2005 , 04:51 PM
Nope, that hasn't worked :shakehead

Thanks for trying to help, I guess it will have to remain a mystery. I'll either rig him without the alpha map, or wait until next week when I go to my parents and try it on my Dad's computer.