Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 13-04-2013 , 12:52 AM
Subscriber
Hmms, seems like i only have 3 files in my zip. Strange since i downloaded it from that link some week ago :s

Here's my shader setup:

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 13-04-2013 , 02:52 AM
Super Moderator
Well let me know if you want them.

- Genny
# 18 13-04-2013 , 09:34 AM

What are the leaf shader settings like? I've tooled around with piping the texture through a mult/div and into the translucency, got pretty good results.

Hi Gen,

Could you Explain a bit how this multiply/divide node help in making leaf and vegetation shaders. I also read this on other websites but can't understand how it works.

I am also working on a scene with lots of vegetation.

Thanks
dushyant

# 19 13-04-2013 , 11:50 AM
Subscriber
It's easy to use the mult/div for making translusency. First of all make a mia_material_x. Under it's attributes make it "thin walled" and uncheck "skip reflections on inside". Under refraction you need to set a transparency value or it won't work. To make it easy say you put it to 0.25. Then go under the translusency tab of the mia material x and check "use translusency" and put the weight to 1. I'm assuming that your using physical sky. So now create a gamma correct node and make the gamma .454 .454 .454. Then under the value checker box choose your file. Now create a mult/divide node and plug your gamma correct into input 1. Now click on input 2 of the mult/div and type in 4 4 4. The reason for that is cause our refraction transparency is 0.25, and to make it work the number we put in the mult/div node has to equal 1. Now just middle mouse drag the mult/div node to translusency color on the mia material x

And now you have translusency user added image

Last edited by SwatSnipe; 13-04-2013 at 11:57 AM.
# 20 15-04-2013 , 03:23 PM
Subscriber
Testing the ferns out on the ground plane. I made 8 different types for variety. Just using the paint scripts tool at the moment to get the floor covering. The ground plane texture will hopefully be covered eventually with other shrubs.

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 16-04-2013 , 10:45 PM
Super Moderator
Essentially it's as SwatSnipe said, instead of using the translucency swatch or plugging the texture directly to the channel, you'd pass it through a multiply/divide node which allows you to control the strength of the translucency.

Now, back to lurking and not hijacking Toddster's thread lol user added image

@ Toddster
Is that a temporary ground plane? I ask because it seems kinda small.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 22 17-04-2013 , 01:28 PM

It's easy to use the mult/div for making translusency. First of all make a mia_material_x. Under it's attributes make it "thin walled" and uncheck "skip reflections on inside". Under refraction you need to set a transparency value or it won't work. To make it easy say you put it to 0.25. Then go under the translusency tab of the mia material x and check "use translusency" and put the weight to 1. I'm assuming that your using physical sky. So now create a gamma correct node and make the gamma .454 .454 .454. Then under the value checker box choose your file. Now create a mult/divide node and plug your gamma correct into input 1. Now click on input 2 of the mult/div and type in 4 4 4. The reason for that is cause our refraction transparency is 0.25, and to make it work the number we put in the mult/div node has to equal 1. Now just middle mouse drag the mult/div node to translusency color on the mia material x

And now you have translusency user added image

Thank you so much this was very easy and helpful Explanation...user added image

# 23 17-04-2013 , 05:00 PM
Subscriber
Gen - yes, but the render will be from near ground level, which will help with the depth, although I can't make the scene as big and dense as I would like. I've created it in a sort of V shape following the camera view to minimise the polys.

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 18-04-2013 , 08:19 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Hey Genny You mind sending me those files I seem to be having the same problem. I can get it to work with Maya 2011 but not 2013

# 25 18-04-2013 , 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Sure no problem.

Attached Files
File Type: zip spPaint3D.zip (52.0 KB, 249 views)

- Genny
# 26 19-04-2013 , 05:06 PM
Subscriber
Here's my render, actually comped from a couple of renders because I overdid it on the polys. Quite a bit of post work to get it looking ok, I made another distance layer in Pototoshop to add more depth. The scale of the leaves on the left hand leaves are far too big and the stones don't really sit properly. Looking to revisit this to redo the textures and lighting.

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 19-04-2013 , 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
Ohh that came out quite nice and I agree about the stone path. Perhaps the stone slabs could've been textured in a way that suggests they've been sitting in dirt or get an aggressive AO going on because they do look pretty clean.

- Genny
# 28 21-04-2013 , 10:30 AM
rm3d
looking great, but i agree about the stones as well they just look flat, need some shadow to bring out some bumpy stony detail . user added image . the depth is good though

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 29 21-04-2013 , 10:52 AM
Hi,

Shader is looking good, but there is so much variations in grass. means in reality there is not much variations in grass at a particular place.It depend on places , areas and soil.

-dushyant

# 30 03-05-2013 , 02:17 PM
Subscriber

Attached Thumbnails