Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 15-10-2007 , 02:58 PM
Subscriber

GUI builder?

Hi, i know this may be a far stretch but mi trying to create a GUI for something.

My aim is to build a plugin or script or something so i can have a shelf that enables me to create a character at the click of a button. I can do all the hard work, modelling combined with blendshapes etc. etc,

But how do i build a GUI or shelf or plugin for this?

Thanx guys. Il post on highend 3D when its done

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 2 15-10-2007 , 04:02 PM
Just animate dude, draw draw draw user added image!

GUI would be made with mel script though, autodesk official mel beginner book will have it in.

# 3 15-10-2007 , 04:24 PM
Subscriber
I guess the very most simple way to do this would be to write a script that imports pre-existing characters from other scenes. As I am only just getting into scripting myself I don't know the mel code for importing, but check the help files and mel help reference to see how it would be done.

Chris

# 4 15-10-2007 , 07:51 PM
A great site for people learning scripting, contains a whole host of stuff:
https://www.robthebloke.org/
- maya api and mel sections

the help section in maya is also extremely useful for learning how to build a gui. when you boot the help up scroll all the way down to 'commands' or 'commandsPython' in the left frame and start learning.

if you dont mind what language to use (mel or python) then my bFlocking script in my signature uses python and builds a window with various ui controls such as frames, buttons and input boxes etc.

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 15-10-2007 at 07:53 PM.
# 5 16-10-2007 , 11:28 AM
Subscriber
wow! thats great thanx guys.

Im learning about mel with great difficulty at the mo but its kinda fun, yet frustrating.

If anyone knows how to help me create a script that,..by a click of a button enables you to create a character.

By that i mean i have all the blendshapes for male, female, boy, girl, fat, thin, etc.. all cartoony...and all rigged too.

Thanx

# 6 19-10-2007 , 01:13 AM
If anyone knows how to help me create a script that,..by a click of a button enables you to create a character.

By that i mean i have all the blendshapes for male, female, boy, girl, fat, thin, etc.. all cartoony...and all rigged too.

That already exists (kinda). It's called Poser by e frontier. The latest version is 7.x

This seems like it might be a bit over ambitous for a first time Maya plugin development project.

# 7 19-10-2007 , 08:40 AM
It might be worth getting hold of the 2 maya Programming books by David Gould, as well as Visual studio as than you can make the plug in using C++

As CTbram said, its a very abitous projsct for a first go. But If you really want to get it going then take one step at a time, have a look for the low man rigs and have a look at how the scripts are put together as that has quite a bot of the functionality that you seem to be after and might be a good place to start.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 19-10-2007 , 12:11 PM
Subscriber
yeh i admit its very ambitious but hey...i self taught myself maya! thats ambitious! hehe

Ive seen the lowman rigs and they are great, but i want to create a character UI that enables you to create a cartoony type character with your own stamp on it.

For example you can have a slider for

Fat/Thin
Old/Young
tall/Short
Male/Female

etc etc... then click create and you have a character ready to be rigged. I am willing to put in the graft of first modelling the character and creating tons of blendshapes but the UI is proving to be a pain. Looks like i have a ton of MEL reading coming up!

thanx guys, loving the imput!

# 9 19-10-2007 , 12:13 PM
Subscriber
i once saw a UI script that i downloaded called headgen or something, and was unbelievable! But like the name says, was only to create a head.

You could get pretty creative too.

i'd love to create a simular one for a character.

# 10 19-10-2007 , 05:03 PM
just animate !