Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 12-05-2003 , 07:01 AM
Subscriber
EagleKing:

how often did you smooth it?

If I understand your question, I guess the right answer to that is...once.
I smooth to see my results. Then I go back to an unsmooth version to continue the work. for this work I've set the Subdivision Level to 2. Like the round nubs you see where my ears will be are just single faced squares.

Thanks for the incouragement guys.

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
Chris
essahc@sbcglobal.net
# 32 12-05-2003 , 08:11 AM
As I see your nose on the photo, I would make the nose more square and more "vertical" .. I hope you understand what I meen ..

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 33 12-05-2003 , 11:24 PM
Subscriber
Carsten: Thanks, I think I get it. more soon.

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
Chris
essahc@sbcglobal.net
# 34 14-05-2003 , 07:41 AM
Subscriber
finally had some time to spend at home. I spent the last 8 hours trying to learn how to make poly ears. I will have a lot of clean up when I smooth this so I guess I have a lot to learn still. I love seeing the other models run through this stuff so fast as it gives me hope that it will get easier as time turns into experiance.

I think that my noes is better now, thanks to advise from Carsten. Now I should freeze the head as Im spending too much time that should go to a body and accessories...

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
Chris
essahc@sbcglobal.net
# 35 14-05-2003 , 07:44 AM
Subscriber
speaking of accessories. I found a good referance for the guitar that my nerdman comic will need. No I don't really own a 3000 dollar guitar, but this parker deluxe looks a lot better than my cheaper, Stratocaster. or my dreadnought.

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
Chris
essahc@sbcglobal.net
# 36 15-05-2003 , 02:31 AM
Subscriber
c'mon Strats are the greatest rock guitars ever!! user added image just ask Jimmi Hendrix...oh I dont think he would be able to answeruser added image

I am betting that being from Austin that you have a sunburst like Stevie Ray?user added image

that guitar does look sweet tho'. I recently bought a PRS...a week later my band broke up user added image

H!

# 37 15-05-2003 , 03:24 AM
Subscriber
Heh best guitar is the godin lgxsa user added image... well there are better.. but its a wonderful guitar! I think it all depends on your style.. for instance, i know a few people that are into guitar playing and they much prefer even the godin LG over some other guitars that range up to 3000 dollars user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 38 15-05-2003 , 04:50 AM
Subscriber
no sunburst sorry. I do have an old poncho that he used to wear in interview photos, but it just looks like some old poncho. No Im more of a Les Paul kind of guy. That Godin that M speaks of is sweet (steel strints through the body, like an old L6 gibson). my strat is a cheap japanese squier with the fender bridge. I am used to floyd rose, kramers and les pauls. My real sweetie is a takamine Jasmane archtop jazz cut acoustic.:banana:

Here's what I did today....hair and glasses, merged my sides.
I'm having trouble with the ears. I missed some edges when I was merging polys so once I smooth my ears I have a bunch of border edges that will not merge. I did not I may have to go back to a earlier version and get them merged in low-poly. they look horrible.

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
Chris
essahc@sbcglobal.net
# 39 15-05-2003 , 06:56 AM
Subscriber
Nerdboy gets a body. I really did not know how to start a poly body as I have never done one before. (Ive done three nurb figures but they became so problematic that I put them down for now until I know more). So I took a good look at what HowardPorter's been doing....user added image Man Howard You made it look easyuser added image user added image Maybe someday.
But I was able to get something close to what I want. I had planed on leaving Nerdboy in spandex with a big "N" on the Chest. I will decide if I still want this if the body finishes better.
Any suggestions?

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
Chris
essahc@sbcglobal.net
# 40 15-05-2003 , 07:01 AM
Subscriber
Here is a wire frame. You can tell how much of a que i've taken from HowardPorter. I am like so impressed with your work Howard. Hope you are not offended. I've learned more tonight about poly extruding than in the last year since I got this program.

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
Chris
essahc@sbcglobal.net
# 41 15-05-2003 , 03:01 PM
thats great stuff. The head is really good.

# 42 15-05-2003 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
"takamine Jasmane archtop jazz cut acoustic" Nice!

looking good, I like the idea of spandex with an "N" logo. Like supermans "s"?

"Hope you are not offended" - no way, not at all!user added image

because I am going to steal your hair-technique user added image

I have been staying away from nurbs like the black plague, but only because I am so intimidated by them. The only way I seem to get any results at is poly's all the way.

you have got a nice shape to the arm going on.

...and how did you do the hair? user added image

H!

# 43 15-05-2003 , 06:47 PM
mmh...about the glasses... maybe you could add a lil reflection.

# 44 15-05-2003 , 09:37 PM
Subscriber
takamines are really nice (and cheap) acoustics!

New model looks much better.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 45 16-05-2003 , 02:49 AM
Subscriber
Vectorman: My ts90c-dw is the only archtop I have found from Takamine. Since they did not sell I got mine for just under 600US. Man you can't beat that with a stick. I don't understand the low price 'cause they have always been good quality, Not Taylors but not 2000US either.
I could be jelous of the godin lgxsa that M spoke of, or especially the PRS that Howard mentioned. but I will hold out for the Parker.

anyway .....

EagleKing: I guess I'm gonna have to put some glass in those frames, I was hoping you wouldn't notice but now I'm busted.......

Howard: I had no idea how to do my hair so I made the shape below and duplicated it many times, altering each one until they filled up the space I needed. its a real mess but then so is my hair. user added image

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
Chris
essahc@sbcglobal.net