Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-05-2011 , 06:21 PM

quadro fx 3450 and maya 2011 64bit advice please

I have a quadro fx 3450 which i was told was a great graphics card however ive never been able to get much out of it. Ive recently upgraded to windows 7 64bit and was wondering what driver should i use for maya 2011 64bit. i read somewhere that you have to download hardware libraries but i can't figure out where you get them from? if anybody has any experience with the quadro fx 3450 i'd appreciate advice as i've heard it should be a bit of a firebreathing dragon rather than the snail it is now. Incidently it is in the HP xw6200 workstation 2 x 3ghz processors and 2 gb ram

# 2 22-08-2011 , 07:41 AM
Subscriber
Actually, that card is at least two generations old. It's not even in the list of products anymore at nvidia.com (but you can dig it up in a search). It was considered somewhat of an entry-level card when it came out several years ago. Fast-forward to today and you really shouldn't expect too much out of it with current software. It's not listed as a supported card for Maya 2011 (because of its age, I'm sure). Go here for a list of supported cards from autodesk: https://download.autodesk.com/us/qual...aphics_win.pdf. Even though it's not mentioned, you may be able to leverage some of the information in the document, particularly the caveat that there is a performance bug with hyperthreading and the quadro fx cards. Disabling hyperthreading is a work-around until nvidia releases a driver with a fix, but it's not likely that this will apply to you since your hardware is kind of old. But it won't hurt to try, I suppose. Your processors are two generations old (soon to be three with the advent of Intel's Sandy Bridge processors) and aren't likely to apply to this nuance as autodesk did their cert testing on Nehalem-based architecture which is relatively very different from yours (Netburst). I'm not trying to bust on your hardware, I'm just saying that with the specs you mentioned you can definitely expect to see some performance issues, most likely caused by more factors than just your video card. Just trying to save you from spending too much time trying to fix something that isn't necessarily broken; just out-dated. user added image

Sorry, wish I had more constructive advice... Good luck!