Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-11-2013 , 12:24 AM

criticize this topology

user added image

I havent been modeling faces in a while now, this is the topology i will finish off with (will probably still be tweaking some stuff anyways, you probably know how it is ... user added image )

so tell me what would you change the edgeflow on my model to achieve the "perfect" topology

thanks

skalman user added image

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 2 19-11-2013 , 11:28 PM
Subscriber
Your topology isn't too bad! I have just three things to mention off the bat.

1) Look up nasolabial folds on wikipedia, they are more visible when you are older and are very obvious when you are smiling or yelling. In topology, it helps to have a line of faces running from the top of the nostril and hugging a little closer to the corner of the mouth so that you can get that deformation much easier. In the attached image, the blue line of faces should be about where the red line is. It may take a bit of work to get your faces uniform again though but it will be worth it.

2) Also to help deformations, you want the number of faces on the top lip to match the number of faces on the bottom lip. I would say remove some topology from the top lip rather than adding more to the bottom. It's not necessary, but it will make your life so much easier when you go to rig this. Same goes for the top and bottom eye lids.

3) Last thing is minor, it looks like from your image you don't have some vertices welded on your chin.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 22-11-2013 , 07:53 AM

Your topology isn't too bad! I have just three things to mention off the bat.

1) Look up nasolabial folds on wikipedia, they are more visible when you are older and are very obvious when you are smiling or yelling. In topology, it helps to have a line of faces running from the top of the nostril and hugging a little closer to the corner of the mouth so that you can get that deformation much easier. In the attached image, the blue line of faces should be about where the red line is. It may take a bit of work to get your faces uniform again though but it will be worth it.

2) Also to help deformations, you want the number of faces on the top lip to match the number of faces on the bottom lip. I would say remove some topology from the top lip rather than adding more to the bottom. It's not necessary, but it will make your life so much easier when you go to rig this. Same goes for the top and bottom eye lids.

3) Last thing is minor, it looks like from your image you don't have some vertices welded on your chin.

Thank you for the reply ... looks like i forgot about that nasolabial muscle user added image , thanks for mentioning that! I've really never thought about what you said on the 2), i will definatly keep this in mind in the future, when i think about it im pretty sure i've made the same mistake for the eyes of this character ... :p
3) i think thats because i just mirrored the mesh and they aren't merged yet user added image

thanks again for the reply! definatly learned some stuff from this

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^